Running in!

J

Japmonster

Hi, How many miles should i run my car in for after having forged pistons fitted?

youngsyp

I would say at least 1500 miles. Then gradually increase revs and boost. After 2500 miles I reckon it should be ok to drive as normal.
I would get the oil changed at 500 miles, then again at 1500 miles and so on. But, that's me.

Cheers

Paul

J

Japmonster

thanks mate. garage said that 1000 miles, with oil change after 500 then again at 1000. then it should be ok. but didnt know if that sound right or not!

O

one Gti-R

run mineral oil to start with,

take it easy for the first 500miles,

then drop the oil and put regular oil in drive easy but vary your RPM don't be afraid to take it to REDLINE on a few occasions, do that for the next 500 miles then feel free to give it everything.

there are many myths and everyone will have a different process. I suggest you do whatever your comfortable doing.

G

GTI-R

I'm having mine run in on the engine dyno as at £400 it is cheaper than the fuel required to do 1,500miles, plus I then have to sail (at least £400)back over (in a ferry, my 'R cannot sail on water :wink: ) to have the thing mapped - so much cheaper for me and about right for someone in the UK.

Obviously this is best to do before your engine goes back in to save on costs. This means you can rag it straight out of the box, running my engine in last time a depressing :evil:

A

Anonymous

i've just finished running mine in..

done about 1000km's on mineral oil.

then have done roughly 2000 on synthetic oil

going to drop that out soon and change it again..

dunno what the conversion is in miles but you work it out..

:p