Running Lean

Tubb

Had my pulsar on an A/F meter at a garage today and apparently its running very lean.
The CO content and HC content was fine, but the CO2 content was 16.8% and the O2 content was over 2%.

The car feels slow generally and really struggles to pull from 5k to 6k.rpm, it doesnt bog down or missfire although the exhaust pops and bangs alot.

The car idles bang on 1k rpm which seems a little high to me.

Ive checked the spark plugs and they look fine (light brown).

Ive done a fault code check and got code 11 for the Crank Angle Sensor - if this is faulty could it be causing the car to run lean and cause running problems?

Is there anyway i can manually adjust the mixture? or is it controlled electronically?

Also the car has one of these oiled K&N panel filters and I've heard on some cars that these can mess up MAF sensors - will this be a problem?

Thanks in advance, im new to pulsars so any help appreciated :-D

Last edited:

stumo

check the fuel pressure, with the engine running and the vac tube to the pressure reg disconnected it shouyld be 3 bar.

If the CAS (crank angle sensor) is faulty it will cause the car to run crap.

You're best getting the car to run correctly rather than try to cock it up by adjusting the mixture etc (you can do that but you're best fixing the problem properly or you could cause big problems)

gtir_pimp

if it is running lean it doesnt mean the car will be slower or bog down. they all pop and bang running lean or rich. 1k idle is very good as the idles can be more on most pulsars. i have a K&n with no problems. do you have an walboro pump and are you running high boost? you can get a fuel computer or remap the standard ecu to adjust fueling. but shouldnt need to unless you want to run high-ish boost. get the fueling checked by someone with a wideband or rolling road. hope this helps

Tubb

its a standard fuel pump and standard boost as far as i know, the car is almost bog standard.

looks like a CAS will be my first thing to change then

Thanks for the help so far

Fusion Ed

Thats idle. It should be running in closed loop. It sounds as though its not. Replace the lambda sensor and try again. If you get stuck and its worrying bring it up to me, I can run some tests.

Tubb

Thats idle. It should be running in closed loop. It sounds as though its not. Replace the lambda sensor and try again. If you get stuck and its worrying bring it up to me, I can run some tests.
Thanks for the offer Ed, I'll try a few things and if I'm still stuck I'll bring it up.

Can I use a lambda and CAS from any SR20 or are they GTIR specific?

Fusion Ed

Nothing wrong with the CAS or it wouldn't run.

The lambda sensor is pretty much Gti-R specific. Its not the more common type found in most other cars.