running like a pig

Matty B

Tonight i have swapped my injectors over. I have decided to stick my standard ones back in as 660's are not needed with my current spec (i think anyway).
While taking the fuel rail off i managed to brake two very old and brittle breather pipes, (as below)

Now what i need to know is, would these two pipes being damaged make the car run rough. It struggles to tick over and when it does its very lumpy. Im not sure if its because they are broken or if the injectors are at fault. I know i could just stick the other injectors back in to check but thought i'd ask on here first. Any advice would be great, thanks.

GTIR-LOZ

yes you now have a couple of air leaks it will run rough repair them first before you look at the injectors

MORF114

just need a foot of silicone hose chop in half and join each throttle body up 1+2 joined up and 3+4 to stop the air leaks like 2 semi circles if you know what i mean and a plug in you cam cover. easy as pie to fix, plus it looks neater.

CanadianR

MORF114 said:
just need a foot of silicone hose chop in half and join each throttle body up 1+2 joined up and 3+4 to stop the air leaks like 2 semi circles if you know what i mean and a plug in you cam cover. easy as pie to fix, plus it looks neater.
I was thinking fo doing that.

Where does the valve cover vent to then? Just the front side of the engine with the seperator?

MORF114

Im pretty sure it only needs the 1 vent.
Its mentioned somewhere on here what these hoses do to cylinder temps or exhaust temps was along time ago i read it.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
matty, like Daz said above I can supply you with all the nesessary to blank off/tidy up all that if you like

but in the meantime so you get a better idea of what all that pipework does, read these 2 threads

thread 1
thread 2

If you read the threads above you might sus out that basically the pipes and the pcv valve assembly (the pipe coming out of the rocker cover) were originally designed to help scavenge the rocker cover/crank case of any harmful blow by gases e.t.c. back into the inlet tract rather than venting to atmosphere to help emissions. The rocker cover has 2 breathers, the pcv valve that vents back into the throttle bodies via these pipes and the other is an open vent at he other end of the rocker that vents back into the inlet tract.
So, you could replace the damaged pipes like for like with some 10mm ID rubber pipe, or you could loop all the various breathers together as Morf suggests or by removing the pipes you have destroyed and blocking of the PCV valve hole in the rocker cover with a stainless bung and the various uncapped breathers with rubber caps, you will have tidied everything up and you will still have the other breather so any build up of harmful gases will still be extracted and burnt.

Steve

P

pulsarboby

steve can you send me one of those blanking plug kits please, with your pp addy and il make a payment for one, thanks!

Matty B

thanks for the info chaps. but this is what happend tonight ;-

I bought some new 10mm pipe today and (just for now) replaced all the damaged ones to standard form. I then fired the old girl up and it was still running like crap, just the same as before. So i swapped the standard injectors back over for the 660's, started it up and it was fine. Now im only pushing out about 310ish bhp so i would of thought the standard injectors would be fine. Is it possible that my ecu was mapped to run 660's or do you think my standard ones are just shagged. I really don't know, but with the 660's in it overfuels like mad. Any thoughts chaps ?

GTIR-LOZ

your car could not run 660 injectors without being setup for them they run 444 as standard so if you had the 660 in and it ran fine the maps have been corrected to use these

youngsyp

MORF114 said:
I found that silicon hose (vacuum hose) weeped so, I used rubber hose instead. Not sure if you other guys have found this ?!

Paul

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
youngsyp said:
I found that silicon hose (vacuum hose) weeped so, I used rubber hose instead. Not sure if you other guys have found this ?!

Paul
Yes, silicon will weep and if not secured properly will blow off. Thats why I mention rubber above ;-)

Braveheart

stevepudney said:
Yes, silicon will weep and if not secured properly will blow off. Thats why I mention rubber above ;-)
I ditched my silicon vacuum pipes and used rubber fuel pipe instead as the silicon pipe did not feel very secure.... ;-)

youngsyp

stevepudney said:
........ And Steve's kit's will look a lot better/neater and work just as well. Hence why I've ordered one, amongst others. ;-)

Paul