running without turbo connected!

boucherie

i seem to have a problem of late of blowing my intercooler hoses off, so ive had to 'bypass' the turbo and use the maf in a NA type setup until my new clamps arrive from the states. Will i experience any ill effects to the turbo in the long term by doing this as im only going to work and back each day (5mile each way and not driving it hard). i have sealed up the exposed hoses as best i can so avoid muck getting inside

cheers ian

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If the exhaust is still spinning the turbo, watch whatever you sealed it with doesn't get sucked into the turbo.

If that's all the driving you're doing, just reconnect it all and don't boost it to the level you know the hose comes off at.

boucherie

if the hose was in an easy to reach place then i would but its one of the ones tucked under the bumper and a sod to get to, so when i get the new clamps il change the piperun yet again for one that is tried and tested!

Just before i blew this last hose off i hit about 1.4bar (only set to 1.2) and i swear the fault code light flashed on and off quickly, reason to worry or poor earth!?!

JIMMYBACK

im sure it been done before......it probbo be like driving a 2 litre gti...what hose clamps have you ordered? theres a place in kent that sell mikcalor clamps for dirt cheap prices pm dooie pop pop for the number as ive lost it

gtir bean

if you put your foot down driving it like that there wont be anthing to limit the turbo in terms of it spinning itself to death.

boucherie

think there similar to the mikalor ones i think, they've got the nylock nuts on them and only cost me $25 for 10 shipped to the UK, must be bargain of the year!!

stumo

my guess is you will knacker the turbo as it will spin far too fast as it will have no resistance (not making boost) and there will be no regulation (no boost to open the wastegate)

if you absolutely have to use the car then i would make sure the wastegate is fully open and you drive like a total pussy.**

**better still, don't drive it. get taxi's etc

Oh, and sealing the pipes "as best you can"*** isn't good enough, any dirt in there will go directly into your engine when you connect it all back up.

***if you're using a crappy metal mesh airfilter (cos it looks/sounds good) then disregard the last statement as your engine will already be trashed.