Rust

saddler

Ahhh Been to look at some Gti-r's Today 4 in total.. All with F**king Rust on the back arches and bottom of the door.. Im Sorry if im going to spend £3000 For a Car is it to much to ask That its rust free.?? Or am i be to being to selective..

Fire & skill

Vintage member
well my one is 100% rustfree - i guess you just need to keep looking, its one of those things where you kind of know the car you want once you see it

steve963

they all rust on the back arches,

makes me laugh, the way people wash the bits other people can see, while their cars rotting underneath

EVOBAD

ul find that most gtir will hav rust on arches for 3kyou can be lucky & arches hav been done but i think if ther not to bad most of the members just live with it

saddler

steve963 said:
they all rust on the back arches,

makes me laugh, the way people wash the bits other people can see, while their cars rotting underneath
Spot on mate All thats needed is Sponge the inside Arch job done.. :thumbsup:

steve963

its the only bit worth washing!!

lookin at me dads celica, he always cleans it. arches were 1" in mud ........?!?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
saddler said:
Im Sorry if im going to spend £3000 For a Car is it to much to ask That its rust free.??
On a car that's upto 16years old?...........Yes. Don't be surprised if it does have some rust. What do you expect at that age?

If it was a 5year old car at that price, then no, I wouldn't expect any.

There's plenty of Gtirs out there without rust, but the newest ones are 13years old, so either keep looking, or go for one that isn't that bad.

Last edited:
O

Odin

Fire & skill said:
well my one is 100% rust free - i guess you just need to keep looking, its one of those things where you kind of know the car you want once you see it

Is that the same 100% rust free as the one you sold Mic ? :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I wouldn't trust you to sell me a wheel barrow matey :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Odin said:
Is that the same 100% rust free as the one you sold Mic ? :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I wouldn't trust you to sell me a wheel barrow matey :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

:sad:

GTiR_Mic

Even thought it has rust is isn't that expensive to get it repaired.

I was qutoed for my Old GTi-R £500 about a year ago to have the arches re-done and a bit of rust on the tailgate.

That was to cut out the metal, re-weld and then paint it.

Mic

gtir bean

you will be pretty hard pushed to get an r for 3k that has mint bodywork.not to say that there wont be ones about at that price but most will be starting to rust.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
As you said above, don't just judge a car by what you can see.........

I didn't think mine was to bad until I startd digging around, I've just had to replace most of the rear floor pan and the front chassis rails and the rear arches need doing :?

steve963

mine came from japan undersealed, wonder why as i though they werent as std

also had a cheap (£50) wax oil job done on it,

wondering if i should have paid for the full works or not though as it can cost ~£300

MORF114

good way to prevent rust from showing its face on a R is to get the main body powdercoated underneath everywhere ive been thinking of getting a spare shell and doing this for a while sand blast it all and get everywhere except main body panels done just need to find a powder coater with a big enough oven and a decent shell with no rust.

MORF114

very true and it would probably still rust on rear arches on moulding holes unless everything metal gets powder coated :flypig: :lol:

Studlife

rust is a very big issue here in canada best is undersealed like mentioned i'd much rather put the money else where than a lil rust