Scary moment

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Was having a wild A road rip with a M5 yesterday and wining :D , great fun and went on for ages, but at one point for a split second at about 130 mph going round a long sweeping right hand bend and accelerating hard on WOT my oil light came on :shock:, I carried on accelerating as it was only on for a split second and although I was watching the road as far as I could see the oil pressure gauge was still reading way over 6 (standard gauge).
Once the thrash came to an end, oil temp was still v safe and the pressure was as normal, checked the oil level and it was reading high on the stick, strange :?

All I can put it down to was because I was accelerating hard, the oil in the sump was being thrown away from the oil pick up pipe and it picked up a gulp of air :?: who knows

Everything seems alright though, just a scary second.

Off the back of this though I will be looking into enlarging a sump pan with wings and adding baffles.

Any ideas or comments ?

J

jiw

and guess who's said the gtir doesn't suffer oil surge before :wink:

J

jiw

stevepudney said:
Unless running very low on oil or the sump has been dented up onto the pickup pipe the R' just doesn't suffer oil starvation.
doh...... :wink: :lol:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Cheers for pointing that out J :wink: :lol:

Well, what the f+ck do I know but I guess at warp factor 9 on this particular bend, it does.

When I did my rebuild I was going to baffle the sump but later on was talking to Ian (Hiteq) and mentioned my plan, he said "Unless running very low on oil or the sump has been dented up onto the pickup pipe the R' just doesn't suffer oil starvation"

So, I didn't bother, hey ho, you lean by your mistakes I suppose.