Scrubbing

R

riske

I have GAB adjustables, whiteline kit struts etc bumpsteer. Have speedline 16's and i get scrubbing! get it on slight bumps and on corners. Not sure how the rest of you have got round this but don't fancy paying someone to roll my arches. Any diy fixes? Cheers :thumbsup:

antgtir

Use the adjustable feature and raise the ride height lol.

I have the car set up for track on 16" wheels with no scrubbing. Also have the same setup on road with 17" wheels and still no scrubbing.

Car is lowered using coilovers also.

Sounds like the ride height is too low for normal use.

Ant.

R

riske

Its not that low mate. Probably only lowered 40mm. Ive seen lower cars with bigger alloys with no scrubbing! Don't want it any higher because it looks gay. Got any DIY arch rolling ideas??

jjs

if you are happy with the ride height, your spring tension must be to low , should be able to stiffin the spring rating without altering the ride height, can also increase the dampening to stop the car diving under hard cornering,

R

riske

I have it set on 4 which is the highest. I dont know how to set the spring tension.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
maybe the struts are shot :?

would I be right in saying that he last GAB adjustable's rolled off the production line bloody years ago :cry:

R

riske

HUh?! So would i need new adjustables?? How can i fix it? Think im just gonna cut out the arches 2mora....

If they are fooked your best off gettnig the arches rolled properly so they are professionally done and prevent rust or ruining the car and look out for a repair kit or replacement parts (but I think they are no longer sold) so may be better off looking for another set of shocks :-(

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Carl I think he means he's going to cut out/remove the inner arches, not take a hack saw to his bodywork :doh:

and like I already said, they don't make gabs anymore, so if they are fooked you will need some other shocks.

but generally it will be spring rates that support the car not the shocks, so I'd be looking at your springs if I were you :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What size 16s are they? I uesd to get slight scrubbing on harsh bumps with my 225/40/16s, but nothing with my 215/35/16s.

R

riske

Yeah Im just gonna cut out the inner arches where it scrubs and that should fix it. This may sound dumb but i didnt get a manual with the car for the GAB but how would i adjust the springs? I just don't wanna mess it up and have one side leaning more than the other if i mess up. Thanks so far

PHEEEEW I thought you were going to do a DIY rolling of the arch JOB, seen that many times and well it was not the best of results and the ones that were ok rusted away very quickly :-(

R

riske

I'm just gonna cut the inner arches lads. Unless someone knows how to adjust the adjustables? Thanks

gtir_pimp

do you have spacers on the wheels? they could be pushing the wheels out too far, unless the wheels are wider than normal like fastguy said. my cars quite low on 17s with spacers and i dont get any rubbing at all even with a full car going over pot holes,speed bumps etc. i tried it the other day coming back from the pub and must of had 70-80 stone of weight in the car lol

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
They seem OK. I bought them based on a test in Fast Car many years ago. They were about 3rd in the dry and top (I think) in the wet.

R

riske

Well i'm going to get some new tyres after it has been 4 wheel aligned so may just get lower pro's. Probably try and get some 215/30/16. This would fix the scrubbing. Think i know why they started to scrub. Bought 2 new budget front tyres as the ones before were slicks. Bought em cheap just to get through MOT. After 4 wheel alignment will go for some quality tyres and lower pro's. This should fix it. BTW havnt attacked arches yet. Cheers for the help tho.

What tyres are best for fast road?