Shotpeening and Cryogenics

A

Anonymous

is it worth getting the gearset shotpeened

I spoke to a company and they recon that it will handle 500bhp and over.

The price for this is around the £1000 depending on what else need to be fixed

Or is ti better just to spend mpre and get the quaife

A

antilag

im guessing u have spoken to bob?

mine has been done by him mate but i have only done 660 miles on it so cant really comment on wat power it can take ect but seems to b fine :D

G

gotoinstant-redline

managed to break 4th gear on the quaife
also i've cracked a casing too! not good and had to do a group A mod and weld a plate onto the box to stop the new case from cracking.

hadnt thought about shot peening the box. but not a bad idea.
anyone have any contacts for doing this?

building a new box atm with a mix of all sorts of parts. if it works ok then i'll let slip what bits i've used.

L.

boucherie

mines been shot peened by the previous owner, il dig out the receipt to find out roughly how much it costs and who done it. Ive been told that by the having it done the gearbox is at least 30% stronger which is no bad thing i suppose!

M

Mr Overboooost

mine has been shot peened aswell but i cant say for definate whether it as made the gearbox stronger or not .
only time and lots of thrashing will tell :twisted: :lol:

cheers
gary

Nad

boucherie said:
mines been shot peened by the previous owner, il dig out the receipt to find out roughly how much it costs and who done it. Ive been told that by the having it done the gearbox is at least 30% stronger which is no bad thing i suppose!
Was just looking through a publication Nov 2004 and came across an article from www.surfacepreperation.com. They state that they can increase torque capacity on items by 30%, problem is site doesnt work at the moment. Am going to look into it though, as if we can get teh standard box to handle 400lb/ft, no need to waste money on other options.

Also, I think this is worth looking into as well, http://www.frozensolid.co.uk/index.html , possibly worth doing after the shot peening. I know this has been posted up before and overlooked but due to the constant gearbox issues may be the next route of attack.

I still think that using the Quaiffe selector forks are a good idea if we can get them to sell them seperatly, as they are a 2 piece item which I assume will fit a standard gearbox. Just look like they could be treated easier than standard ones.

Any other thoughts??

Nad

Nad

The fact that everyone always moans about gearboxes breaking, im suprised more people havent commented on this!

Nad

M

MarkMc

I have also wonder why more people(note I didn’t dumb :( ) have not looked in to martensitic(cryo) treatment of engine part gear boxes etc.. I have checked on other forums and no one seams to use it at all. They say you can get your whole engine block treated too and the strength increases are not small some quote up to 200% to 300% :shock: strength increase. Its not a surface treatment either the whole of the components material gets treated.

Markmc

K

KRS

Im going to admit to ignoring most gearbox posts..., just ignoring the fact mine may go at any momment especially with the clutch I have :oops:

Im finding it hard to shift at higher RPM, but its been like that since I owned the car.

Should I begin a gearbox fund?

Gonna look into it now as I plan on bigger HP very soon... This Cryogenics seems intresting, but whats the cost gonna be on somthing like that?

Im a not experianced enough on GTIR gearboxs to really know what would be envolved

Nad

From what I have read cryo is a lot cheaper as it is a batch process. Its seems to be a one price treatment more or less so the more u get done the better.

Tony

How would we get a batch sorted out tho???

would it be a case of just sending loads of sets away and if so how would we tell whos was whos wen they came back!?!?!?!?

Tony....

MarkTurbo

I've been thinking about this, and it does sound like a good idea :wink: But............

Are people getting this done on their existing parts, or buying brand new parts and getting them done :?: To get the best effect from shot peening or cryogenics wouldnt it be better to get it done on brand new standard parts :?:

Just a thought :? But seeing as most gearboxes are at least 10 years old now and maybe weakened over time maybe these processes wouldnt have the maximum effect.

Tony

My thoughts exacly bud!!!

What if gears are cracked or really badly worn and you dont get your own back!?!?!?

What is the cost of a complete gearset from Nissan???

What is a ball park batch figure???

I dont think its a chance id want to take, what with th expense and time of fitting!!

you`d probably be getting sumwhere near quaife prices?!?!?

Tony....

MarkTurbo

Tony said:
you`d probably be getting sumwhere near quaife prices?!?!?
Thats what i was thinking too :wink:

I reckon you'd be looking at well over a grand for a set of brand new gears from Nissan, i looked into the prices of the primary and secondary 2nd gear parts from Nissan when mine broke and just those 2 bits are are about £500+ :shock:

Tony

Might as wel buy a quaife set then do this process!

Unless its already been dun to it?!?!?

Tony....

Nad

Dont forget that used parts season themselves and normally increase in strength over time.

When I say batches they dont just throw them in, each set would be kept seperate. I would go to the Gearboxman, get everything checked to ensure it wasnt damaged, get everything done and give it back to be built up. If u can afford a quaiffe, yes do go get it done, but TBH thats then gonna cost £1600 more. Was trying to find a way of saving the £1600, and increasing the strength of the set over a standard quaiffe one.

A

Anonymous

i have read about this on a lot of american websites, and the figures i have seen quoted are more commonly, 1-3% increase in strength for shot peening, and around 17% increase in strength for cryo treatment. the main difference i have seen between american tuning forums and british ones, is that we (the british) seem to believe the first thing that we read, and the americans prefer to see some proof. there is a lot of information about this on australian forums also.

the secret of the internet is to look at what as many people as possible think about certain things, and draw your own conclusions from the information you can get, and not to just beleive everything you read.

thank you

Nad

Well all the info I got was from Racecar Engineering which doesnt tend to pay to print the wrong information. Both treatments have different affects on the metal so it depends what ur after. 'Strength' is only one property of a material, depending on what u want u choose a treatment to suit.