Should there be oil in the turbo inlet?

Danny S R

In light of my recent clutch worries took my air filter feed off to get access, the big plastic bit, and there was a layer of oil in the metal pipe that goes the turbo? Thats bad right?! :( What are the costs of reconditioning a turbo if thats the case?

J

jiw

it could possibly be entering their from the oil breather system mate, try venting the oil system externally, jeff

MarkTurbo

Probably just the crap standard breather system :wink:

I used to get this until i fitted a decent oil separator :D

Danny S R

is this one of the pipes that leads to the air filter tube, can i just get one of those oil breather mini air filters to put on it? phew!!

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
My 'Rs running with a Pipercross mini mesh filter on the breather pipe that used to goto the inlet. It points upwards to allow it to vent and catch the oil vapour in the filter. Had it on for a few months now and it's been fine.

Also cleaned out the breather system, intercooler pipes and intercooler (as that was full of oil vapour) with white spirit and now the car no longer runs on an air /oil mix :D

Hope this helps,

donpulsar

J

jiw

I think i need to get something sorted with mine, after giving the car some stick i seem to get smoke, this only happens when trying to drive at around 40 mph in fifth, if i accelerate or let off the smoke dissapears, it clears after a while until the next time i boot it, hopefully the problem will be a cheap fix :D