smokin barrel???

M

murdocgtir

ive noticed that when drivin the r at a constant speed say 60kil that as the turbo relaxes to zero boost at exactly 2rpm i always get a large puff of smoke from exaust :( . the turbo feels as lively as ever just want to know if its on the way out or maybe its a seal or sumthing please help :shock:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It might be the turbo bearing starting to go. Standard turbo? It might also be worth checking your crankcase for excess blowby (ie pressurisation from worn rings) If you have a standard breather system it could also be worth fitting something like a Forge aftermarket one.

M

murdocgtir

yep its the standard turbo, theres an aftermarket breather on it, so where do i stand then wats the best way of finding solving problem :oops: , so wats my next strp ???? please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd say get the compression tested, this should give you an indication of the engines health. (worn rings etc)

If you can, take the inlet pipe off the turbo and see how much play there is in the shaft. A small amount is ok, but more than about 1mm or so and I'd suspect the turbo of not being in the best of health.

It might even be the valve guides or valve stem oil seals as well, possibly :?

M

murdocgtir

rite i took off inlet pipe to turbo and theres a small puddle of oil lyin at the bottom of the turbo, i checked for play there is sum very very little so can anyone advice next step, is the turbo wanked or is there an oil seal or sumthing gone please help :roll:

nismoboy

take off your inlet pipe and give it a good clean then refit it. Remove the pipe that comes from the t piece on the rocker cover and put the end of the pipe in a small drink bottle tape the hose round the top to hold it in place then pierce some holes in the top. Once u have done this drive the car as normal and see what happens.

if the turbo inlet pipe stays clean then your turbo is fine. if the drink bottle fills up with lots of oil then its pretty sure your rings are fooked.

M

murdocgtir

ok ill give that a try thqnks for the advice, will let you know wat happens :cry: