Smokin'

LeeSmith

My R has just started smokin from the exhaust, it is not alot, only a little on idle, it's not the normal smoke u get when u staart up on a cold day, it's the same colour - DEFINATLY NOT BLUE SMOKE THOUGH. the idle is around 950-1000RPM but sometimes bounces to 500RPM - not often say every 40seconds then jumps back up again.

Im doing an oil & filter change on tuesday as one hasnt been done in a while - could this have something to do with it????

Thanks in advance

LeeSmith

its tempremental too. I just took it to a garage and they reccomended i put some engine flush in it, he got some good stuff (he demonstrated it to me and it works well.)

Then drain all the oil out, leave it over night to drain (sounds like a long time to me) and replace filter & use decent oil.

I can get hold of some millers oil for £30.

LeeSmith

any other takers??

does anyone know why it does it, or where this leak might be??

it really only smokes after a drive. no matter if i drive it hard or normal (wait, that is hard!!!!) it will smoke on idle.

thanks in advance :wink:

J

jasegould

I wouldnt use an engine flush unless you really need to (eg gummed up hydraulic lifters - which the R doesnt have anyway). The prob being that it can dislodge bits of crap and send them round the engine to places where they can cause problems.

And I cant see the point leaving it overnight...just aslong as you drain as much out as possible and refill with fresh stuff.

Check all you vacuum hoses for holes/splits that could cause airleaks, your smoking prob is either oil burning or overfuelling, getting is gassed may diagnose overfuelling....

LeeSmith

I put some STP injector cleaner through it today and took it for a good ranting down the motorway - i put the octane booster in it too and filled it up with optimax - went well :p, anyway - it has totally stopped smoking now! I still need to do an oil change!!

I bough the oil, filter, funnel, flush, washer, and even something to catch the old oil in! just gotta find the time to do it.

I bought Mobile 1 15w50 in the end...

LeeSmith

LOL! Did my Oil and filter change today! Runs nicer and sounds alot quieter! No Idea what sort of oil Protech put in there b4 but it came out like water!