Smoking and using oil

P

paulrandy

My cars smoking a bit when i floor it :cry: its blue smoke and its using a lot of oil, thing is though the engine and turbo have only done 2k miles.
The engine had a full rebuild with 87mm Wiseco's new stem seals and everything. The turbo is an md172 that had been repaired by TD after an accident, had new shaft, turbine wheel, bearings, seals and turbine sheild.
Checked compression, 162,162,162,164 so no probs there.

So basically engine or turbo?

P

paulrandy

forgot to say, there's no oil from the d/v and the breather pipe is clean and dry. Also it's been like this from day 1.

M

memski

Have you checked the turbo for shaft play? Seems like the culprit imho.

P

paulrandy

Dont make me even more paranoid Frank please.

Yeah checked the turbo memski forgot to say, absolutly no end float at all.

Is it possible the seals in the turbo could be faulty or fitted wrong? I know Turbo Dynamics has a very good reputation but my engine builder has a very good one too.

Gonna check on the sxoc and see if anyone's had problems with their wiseco's.

As far as i see though, it's got to be the turbo despite the fact it's just been rebuilt, maybe they missed something?

I've checked the turbo oil return too and that wasnt blocked or anything.

P

paulrandy

The turbo spins free enough too almost feels like an RB, boosts and drives perfect too, supposedly good for 1.4bar but ive never run it above 1.1 so it hasnt been overboosted.

P

paulrandy

possably, but i was led to beleive stem seals usually smoke on start up which mine isn't doing.

P

paulrandy

Just done cylinder leakage test and got, 4%, 4%, 6%, 6%. So surely not the pistons/rings?

Also forgot to say i run it on Castrol RS 10w 60.

zia

perhaps the rings have glazed? are you getting any blowby through the breather system? maybe old oil left in exhaust or possibly turbine seal leaking under pressure?

zia

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Paul, I neglected to read the beginning of the "Smoking & using oil" tread, particularly the part mentioning the rebuild with Wiseco pistons. My guess is it's the turbo dumping oil straight from the seals on the turbine side into the exhaust, this would explain the lack of oil coming out the dump valve.

Changing the subject slightly, I have just bought a set of the Wiseco pistons as you know.

Do we know what compression ratio these pistons are and what thickness head gasket did you use.

M

memski

O/T: So the cr is higher than standard even with a thicker headgasket? Are the pistons high comp ones or has the head been skimmed?

I still think it's the turbo (unless the rings haven't bedded in properly yet) :?