Smoking turbo, engine or both?

dombat

When i go down a hill with no throttle, there is a puff of smoke after a while. Also, someone who followed me once said it smoked on gear change (not on boost though as I never drive hard when there's someone following!)

The oil hasn't actually gone down for ages so cant be burning much.

Is this the turbo seals, the engine or a mixture of both? What checks can I do to diagnose the culprit?

smiler

Mine was doing this as well just as I let off the throttle so I ordered a new turbo for it. When I took the old one off there was some play in the shaft but obviously enough for it to start smoking. Got my new tubby on now and no more smoke.

It's maybe an idea to take off your intake pipe on the turbo and check for any play in the shaft, nice easy check to start off with anyways.

carlengerer

like what smiler said..if you find in-out shaft play is definately a worn turbo, also check the plugs for oil deposits if you think its the engine and do a compression test.

P

pulsarboby

more than likely definately the turbo if its smoking off boost and coming down through the gearchanges!
back and forth play is more significant than side to side!
most turbos have a little side to side play when not under oil pressure but thers should be no more than 1mm max back and forth movement.

youngsyp

Have you still got the OE breather system hooked up ?

If so, check your MAF to turbo pipe and breather to intake pipe for oil film.