smoking

M

madmax

hi could you guys help us out, ive just put a rebuilt bottom end in my car and when i drive har she is smoking out the back of the exhaust, it lightly puffs out when ticking over, i carnt see eny smoke when accelerating, but when i let off it plooms up behind me, it isnt blue but smells oily, eny help is appeciated

GTIR-LOZ

what colour is it then?
blue=oil
black=overfueling
white=water

has it done it since you put the bottom end in or just started if its the first you may have forgot to put a hose on etc how does it run?

P

pulsarboby

sounds like you have a dodgy turbo seal, if it smokes coming off boost when going down through the box.

M

madmax

it is white smoke, but smells oily, ive double checked the oil in her and it is a a tad above max, so im gonna drain it and refill. do you recon that might solv it,

P

pulsarboby

not if its slightly above max level!
still say its turbo, as dont forget its water cooled, hence the water will vaporise along with the oil if the shaft seal has blown, which will give you bluish white smoke when coming off boost!

antgtir

If its a head gasket this could lead to water getting into the oil and hence the reason for the oil level being higher than max. You should as you know be able to see the creamy mix on the filler cap and dip stick.

Keep an eye on the oil level, consistency and water levels, if they are decreasing and increasing then may be the head gasket, if not then id look into removing the turbo and see what kind of play in the shft you have and if any of the seals are noticeably worn.

Ant.

M

madmax

ill check it to night. when i checked the oil last night it looked normal, in colour. i dont think it is the turbo but you never know, as it was fine before the head swap