So whats the truth....

A

Anonymous

I here a few people on here and alot of people without R's say there nothing but money pits. But then alot of people on here and almost all the R owners i have spoke to say there car never goes wrong other than the normal comsumables. I know they aint cheap on Petrol and insurance but are they really that bad?

GINGA

Check out the problem solving section it will give you a better idea of what can and does go wrong on a gtir than any owners comments :wink:

BenD

All cars go wrong and need fixing at some point, and as you well know, owning and running a car is an expensive game.

The GTIR gets a lot of shit for being unreliable/parts hard to get hold of and all that crap, but its just like owning any other car. You dont have to spend money on the car, and keep it standard, or you can spend money on the car. like you said, the only thing that cripples me about owning a GTIR is the insurance and fuel. Just the same as most other performance cars. the car is getting on a bit now, and they are going to go go wrong from time to time, fiats are probably even worse :wink:

BTW my car is off the road so i can save up for some more goodies! lol

Cheers

Ben

E

Edd

you get some good cars and some bad cars, some people on here never have anything go wrong, others have things go wrong all the time, the car does seem to have a lot of "common" faults a browse of the forum especially problem solving will find these.

whether the car is reliable or not they are still money pits as you will just mod it more if your not repairing it

A

Anonymous

Id say the R is the most reliable car i've ownerd so far :) the only problem i've had so far is the slave and master cylinder which seem to be common problems with the R :? but the car hassnt been of the road one day yet.

mattygti-r

all depends on whos looked after it before..

ones off the boat, probably may have a few small niggles....after you pick it up from an importers....etc

but these cars are getting on abit....

personally i made sure when i got mine it wasnt from someone who didnt have a clue about the car.. or a young "barry boy" who couldnt afford all the necessary parts...and turned the boost up to over 1 bar without the required parts.

made sure it had a new clutch in it, oil changes, and service history etc.

buy a car thats been well cared for /looked after and you wil be ok, buy a cheap shed and you wont be going out at weekends for 2yrs lol...

remember they are a bit different from your average fiat.

just take your time, in getting one and be choosy..and one thats only taken out at at weekends for short trips maybe suffer less "abuse" than one which is used as a track day car/ RR/ 1/4 mile etc

PULSARS CANT BE RUN ON A BUDGET :oops:

J

J-GTi-R

It's a bit of an urban myth, probably started by some jealous scooby owner who just got beaten by a Datsun, lol.

The 'R is a strong car as standard, not much will go wrong if looked after. However, like all performance cars, it doesn't like abuse and doesn't last long if you start bodging the tuning.

Half the problem is the amount of sh*t cars importers have brought over and tried to pass them off as decent cars, but a good one will last as long as any of it's contemporaries.

A

Anonymous

I guess it's just luck of the draw. I am 100% going to get one soon as i can get insurance. I mean my GT aint been to good on the wallet, i have had mine 6 months and it has nealy cost £2k where as my misses one she has had for a year and had nothing go wrong.

I went in my mates standard R last night other than a Filter and Exshuast, was well impressed.

Is there much of a difference fro standard to 1bar?

J

jasegould

Once upon a time R's prob were expensive to repair and bits were hard to get hold of because they were very rare and no one knew much about them. Now theres a lot more people who cater for them and there is a good network of helpful enthusiasits to help with the little niggles that in the past may have had to be looked at by Nissan (expensive :x )due to the fact that no one wanted to touch them.

My R has by far been the most reliable car that ive had (and ive had a few) and ive never had any trouble getting parts. But buy a shitter and it will cost you...buy any shitter and itll cost you.....plus people like to mod Pulsars because what you get alot out of modding them....and modding is expensive, even when things dont go wrong :wink:

J

jasegould

Is there much of a difference fro standard to 1bar?
With filter and exhaust about 40 - 60 bhp......about a 20% increase so yes, there is alot of difference :D :wink: 8)

O

one Gti-R

The GTi-R is a solid car that wil;l last along time as long as it is looked after. That is like any car tho.

I got mine almost 2 years ago now and the only time it has had to be towed was off the freeway earlier this month the only reason that was is because the alternator shit itself. This happens to all cars not jus tthe GTI-R :wink:

i have kept my car realtivly stock over the years and haven't been a hard bastard on it and therefore I haven't had problems I know that if I was to do rev limiter launches at every set of lights and just be harsh on the car well then it wouldn't last as long.

So simply its just a matter of how well you look after your car as to how long it will last. It doesn't matter if it is a GTI-R persormance car or a stock little NA run around car.

A

Anonymous

I have found mine to be very reliable but then I have looked after it well. All I'd say is don't buy a cheap one (unless it's off this board) as you will more than lightly pay in the long run. Have a look in the for sale section, mine is up for sale as of today.

As for the diffence between standard and 1 bar it will be much, much quicker...and need a new clutch n a week even if you take it easy...which you wont! :wink:

Dunc

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've had mine 2 years now and I've had a power steering pump and a cv boot go and that's it.
I think I might have a big bill coming soon tho :oops:

mattygti-r

had mine a year this week....

things that have gone wrong...

2 alternators...(was replaced then burnt out so got a brand new one)
center section of the mongoose died...got a new part

consumables like oil,filters,pads, etc just the norm...

thats it

A

Anonymous

Any turbo cars are gona cost you money, well if you drive them like they should be driven :wink:

If you learn to fix them yourself you can save a lot of money, also i think a lot of it is who you know as well, so you can source cheap parts and labour. Also this site is pretty handy on it.

If you dont want to spend money, stay away from cars and women!
they both cause me a lot grief

A

Anonymous

I am just trying to get as much info on them before i buy one myself.

One other question. Is there anywhere in the Kent area that i can take it to that knows about R's?

O

Odin

Seaniboy said:
I am just trying to get as much info on them before i buy one myself.

One other question. Is there anywhere in the Kent area that i can take it to that knows about R's?
How far r u from essex as mike (ex-gtir) is around that area and he does
loads on the R for members and saves them shedloads of cash 8) :lol: .

rob

A

Anonymous

Abbey (01883 732331) or SE Nistek (01621 858856) are your best bets.

Dunc

PS, if you are after a really nice one, mine is up for sale! :wink: Give me a bell! 07776 164770

A

Anonymous

Duncan said:
Abbey (01883 732331) or SE Nistek (01621 858856) are your best bets.

Dunc

PS, if you are after a really nice one, mine is up for sale! :wink: Give me a bell! 07776 164770
Would love to buy it mate, but wont be till about 6 - 12 months be for a can get a decent insurance premium. It would cost me £2300 now to get insured on one