some advice is needed

C

CHRIS_2010

need some peoples advice really...

to push the pulsar upto 300bhp..what is needed.

ive got my apexi boost plus fuel controllers to go on the R, I also have a uprated fuel pump fitted.ive got a 3inch bore exhaut system plus decat. ive got a cone induction filter,im running the standard intercooler,. ive considered getting a front mount but to be honest i cant afford one at the minute,ive got the brakes and suspension sorted ..ive looked into clutches etc but i dont do many launches etc so im going to wait untill the clutch is totally knackered before i replace it.

basically im bored with the performance etc of a standard R and ive been told once u get it to about 300bhp it really changes the characteristics of the car and its capabilities etc.is it really essential to run with a front mount intercooler.

if anyone can answer my questions please do,

also has anyone tried some of forte, injector cleaner stuff, put some in the R today and it really seemed to make a difference in the accelerations, the rep who comes round my work gave me some to try and he said i wouldnt be disapointed,basically its suppose to remove all the carbon and dirt gummed up on the end of the injectors..i think its good stuff 8)

and please dont say use the search item as it took me ages to write this in proper english
!lol . 8)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Get some colder plugs and get it set up properly to 1.2bar and you should have ................ a dead clutch very soon.:p

If your clutch holds out that's about all you need on top of what you already have. A front mount isn't essential, but you would probably benefit from one.

C

CHRIS_2010

at the moment ive got bosch super 4's fitted..as my denso's that where in it are knacked and i needed plugs there and then ..will they do the job or not?

as at the minute they seem ok..would i need to run with the apexi fuel controller?

so running at 1.2 bar will that roughly push out 300bhp on a healthy engine?

also does anyone know where to go to get it all set-up and prices in the norfolk/suflok area.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
On your average engine it should be a good 300bhp.

The fuel controller wouldn't hurt things. (people have run without them, but not always a good idea)

I guess it depends what heat range the plugs are compared to nomal. On NGKs you normally go to heat range 8 at 1bar, I've never heard anyone mention at what point they go even colder tho.

I'm not sure who's down that way to be honest.

Fusion Ed

super 4's are bad in my experience (every set I have started playing up in only a few thousand miles, and they foul up easily). Standard NGK suitable for the GTi-R will be better, or a grade cooler, if running more boost.

Don't run 1.2 bar on standard ecu no matter what anyone tells you, I've seen this a couple of times and the ecu is wayyyy out of its depth, plus the injectors are often maxed out. Its not a pleasant sight. The right way & cheapest would be e-manage blue, larger injectors, and a minor remap.

Shaun

Micra Ed said:
Don't run 1.2 bar on standard ecu no matter what anyone tells you, I've seen this a couple of times and the ecu is wayyyy out of its depth, plus the injectors are often maxed out. Its not a pleasant sight. The right way & cheapest would be e-manage blue, larger injectors, and a minor remap.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Fusion Ed

Well you could stick a S-afc on it. or dastek, the second will do just as good a job but that is a closed system with little flexibility, the first is too limited but would be ok to this spec...

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Fast Guy said:
Get some colder plugs and get it set up properly to 1.2bar and you should have ................ a dead clutch very soon.:p
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I switched to grade 9's once I realised I was going to be more seriously on the wrong side of 400hp.

T

tro||

he already has apexi controllers he'll be just fine anyways, although as stated if its a standard clutch its not going to last long

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkTurbo

Micra Ed said:
Don't run 1.2 bar on standard ecu no matter what anyone tells you, I've seen this a couple of times and the ecu is wayyyy out of its depth, plus the injectors are often maxed out.
Thats just made my day :lol: What a load of f**king crap :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about Engine Advantages in Essex? There's a rolling road day there this weekend. I'm hopefully going to check them out...

Last edited:

Fusion Ed

Ok I'm talking fecking bollocks for no reason. Have a look at this very typical graph of a totally standard pulsar (bar FMIC and Exhaust) This had been set to 1.2 bar (not by me)

Now would anyone like to point out what is very wrong with this datalog?,The 100% dutycycle at 6.2K plus the fact that this is only at 1.11 bar may be a clue, its no exception every pulsar I have run has been this way on this spec.

Now tell me how its responsible to leave it like this or indeed run anything more than this in a safely controlled manner?

Yes some people HAVE run 1.2 bar and done nothing on their car, others have done the same and had failures. The fact remains regardless, that once you look any further than "yeah its still going so it must be ok" that things are not, you can buy Nissan Datascan and cable for your cars for only £60-70 delieverd from AUS. Plug that in to your cars and see for yourself. That is _WHY_ I would NOT recommend this to somone as its irresponsible even if for some it has worked.

I can't get my head round why there is so much fuss for something thats so straight forward.

So is it the case that if the car were properly mapped with say an e-manage the injectors would be working more efficiently and not max out so early? I only ask as my mate was running 1.4 on standard injectors with a power fc with no problems.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd be more interested to see the AFR as that would prove weather the injectors maxxing out was causing it to run lean or not, as jap cars allegedly run very rich to cool the cylinders on boost.

Fusion Ed

That's really my next point. GTi-Rs massively over fuel when they are at this point. On this particular car it was not even showing a value on my data which means it was less than 10:1. As I have not mapped a pulsar on stock injectors (they have all been 550s or more. I wouldn't like to say however I can say in my opinion that at 1.4 it would leave very little to work with indeed. In theory the job of the fuel pressure regulator would compensate for any boost increases, and to a certain extent they do, but in practice its not enough alone and a re-map is always needed. I would also wonder weather your friend has stock AFM? I removed the AFM plot to make the above graph clearer, however it was 4.95 volts, which again gives little or no room to play with.

Of course what I'm saying is pure speculation/guesses. If his car has higher base fuel pressure then it may be perfectly fine etc..

MarkTurbo

Fast Guy said:
I'd be more interested to see the AFR as that would prove weather the injectors maxxing out was causing it to run lean or not, as jap cars allegedly run very rich to cool the cylinders on boost.
My car was hitting 1.5 bar and holding 1.4 and the afr was in the low 12's at around 7000 rpm, it was right down in the 10's/low 11's at some points in the midrange though. And the maf was hitting 4.9 volts. Thats with stock maf, ecu, injectors, and fuel press regulator ;-)

Now what was that about 1.2 bar again :yawn: :lol: