some help

A

Anonymous

car isnt starting think its got something to do with the wires?

there is five lights on the speedo bit handbrake light etc,well the third 1 along seems to flash a little when i try to start the car anyone advise me what this light is for?

daz

can you be a little bit more specific :lol: :lol: :lol: as there are quite alot of wires in the car. :lol: :lol:

does the car turn over when you turn the key ???

does it have an immobiliser??

A

Anonymous

Hi mate with what ive read on here its wires to do with the starter motor?

it doesnt have a immobiliser

nothing at all happing when you turn the key,you can hear some clicking and that light flashes.

J

jiw

i think your battery may be flat or you have a bad earth, jeff

A

Anonymous

Hi mate the battery was tested that was ok.

how do you sort out the bad earth problem?

dj

J

jiw

by re-earthing or undoing the earth wire from the battery and removing the rust and muck where the earth bolts down too, have you tried a set of jump leads yet ? i know you had the battery tested but still worth a try, jeff.

A

Anonymous

yeah it did start a few times with leads but now nothing.

daz

me too as the battery may show 12 volts but under the load of starting could still be low and this would make the starter motor click and not turn over

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you haven't rechecked your battery it could have been ok, but now gone flat due to trying to start it.

Check (if you can see/find them) the wires onto the starter motor/alternator and the battery terminals are in place and secure.

You may have a duff starter motor/solenoid, in which case you the engine should start if you bump start it (assuming the battery's ok)

J

Jonny_gti-r

I thought your battery should be around 14v or it is flat?

paz

Sounds like the battery. I left mine to go flat (as I can’t drive the car at the moment). Before it actually went completely flat, but wasn’t fully charged, the dash lights and everything else worked, but there wasn’t enough charge to turn over the starter motor.

Either jump start it with leads or a booster box and see if that works ;)

Paz

antgtir

You cant just test the battery using a digi volt meter, you will have to get a drop tester and test it that way. The drop tester mimics the engine trying to crank over i.e. the resistance from the engine, s a battery may seem to be fine but just not have enough power (cranking power) to turn over the engine. Certainly sounds like this mate, especially as its been cold recently this is the prone time for weak battery's to show.

Solution imo = drop test.

Ant. :wink:

A

Anonymous

spoke to soon

bloody problem has came back,car was fine this morning then go to start it after work and again it wont start, as i said before a new battery was fitted,is this just going to be down to the starter

A

Anonymous

Re: spoke to soon

black-gtir said:
bloody problem has came back,car was fine this morning then go to start it after work and again it wont start, as i said before a new battery was fitted,is this just going to be down to the starter
better hope it's the alternator not charging the battery correctly as a starter change costs a fair bit :shock:

J

John Mc

To check the battery with a digital voltmeter, put your leads on the terminals, you should have 12-14V then get a mate to start the car whilst you still have the voltmeter connected and watch for any fluctuation in the reading. If the volts drop too far it won't have enough to turn the starter over.

This could be due to the alternator not charging the battery! Can you hear any grinding noises coming from the top left as you look from the front of your engine? i.e. the alterator (a bearing could have collapsed) This is exactly what happened to mine trying to get home from TOTB last year.

Hope this helps

Cheers

John

A

Anonymous

starter

just jump started it battery was dead,left it running for about 1 hour,swicthed it off tried it again,it didnt start at 1st but i heard some sort of noise then it turned over.

left it running again stopd tried again and it started very quick,so hopefully what ever that noise was has mayb sorted the problem?well fingers crossed.

david