somebody to look at my power grahs

GTI_R

these are the grahs from when the car was RR set up .

This graph i undersatnd

can anyone tell me what the graph below is showing?
not got a clue what it means

and is everything okay with it ?

Mad

Im guessing a little as can't see the piccie that well but perhaps the one that starts higher and then drops down before levelling off is afr and the other one looks like boost.

GTI_R

thats what i don't understand tho . because if the other one is boost it means at 0.9bar it made 326bhp on a stage one turbo (turbo technics 360 thrust)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I can't see what the scales are, but I'd suggest the same as Dan. - Does it say the intake temperature was 39 degrees, when the air temperaure was 17?

What ECU is it; that may go some way in explaining where the power has come from?

MarkTurbo

The air/fuel ratio leans off a bit between 4500 & 5000 rpm and if it was my car I'd want it running a bit richer after 6500 rpm too.

Mad

Here is a similar Car Planet graph with the boost dropping off considerably and the afr reading reducing throughout the rev range ( due to more fuelling).

The boost is dropping considerably (top line) but the afr reading looks pretty reasonable.

Graphs do tend to vary though depending on car, turbo and setup but a rough rule of thumb is that your afr reading will lower as you go up through the rev and power range.

Ed is the best person to speak to on this.

P

pulsarboby

The air/fuel ratio leans off a bit between 4500 & 5000 rpm and if it was my car I'd want it running a bit richer after 6500 rpm too.
leans off way too much for my liking and boost also drops off so theres a prob there too, but in a roundabout sort of way thats kind of done him a favour as he could have melted his pistons by now

i said exactly the same on other forum mark
does that mean we is both extremely intelligent:lol:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
So the above graph actually shows boost peaking at 20psi/1.4bar and tailing-off to 16psi/1.1bar (and lambda at 1.05 dropping to 0.75)? - Peak power at 1.4bar makes a bit more sense?

GTI_R

well it was setup to run 1.4bar so Pobody your spot on ...

if i'm honest it never ran right after this RR setup (done by DP motorsport owner near runcorn after they closed down)

jim had a look at it 5/6weeks ago and it's much better since then ..
still want to get it on RR only to see what it's doin now that it's breathing better

P

pulsarboby

do you think it needs to visit ed @ fusion farly quickly ? or can it wait till after xmas ?
im no expert with regard to graphs etc but if you dont nail the living daylights out the car guess itll be fine rob
however i would deffo pay ed a visit to get that sorted but check the obvious issues first as stated

MarkTurbo

i said exactly the same on other forum mark
does that mean we is both extremely intelligent:lol:
As it turns out no we're not :lol: I was presuming that boost was on the left of the graph and afr on the right when it turns out looking at the graph Dan posting they're the other way round :doh:

Ignore what i said it actually doesn't look too bad and could even go a bit leaner. I thought it was a bit too much power for 0.9 bar :lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Rob, unless anything's changed it will be fine. The fuelling on boost is always rich and at times overly rich so it's conservative. Others won't be able to telll from the graph but IIRC the ignition is pulled significantly after 4000rpm so if you're still running 1ish bar then don't sweat it.

I already gave my opinion on the map so will leave it at that. I am sure Ed could fettle that easily for more power if that's what you wanted?

We never really looked at what was causing you boost issues but at the time you said you preferred reliability so we didn't really bother.

Personally I'd first install another lambda sensor to confirm what is happening and spot changes in the future. I prefer AEM for plug and play, other suppliers might be more accurate but are less simple to install and you've already been down that path. There maybe new devices on the market that are a better compromise that others could suggest.

I'd still recommend you put the boost controller into the PFC so everything is close loop controlled in one place. The PFC is not the best boost controller and has limitations but not for what you are trying to do and you will be able to see the boost curve yourself from the hand controller which will aid troubleshooting in the future. It will also ignition cut on overboost which helps with reliability. You already have the solenoid and boost sensor, it might need a little research first but it's not hard. IIRC, the solenoid just plugs into the PFC and the sensor is hard wired to replace the OEM sensor. Enable in the hand controller and sell off your electronics on EBay.

If you want more power, first sort out your boost issue as that might be mechanical or electronic. Then just go back to the standard ignition map at the higher load area.

Looking again at your map, it's difficult to say where they went WOT (Wide Open Throttle) The 3K to 3.5K would be a little lean and more of a concern. They could just have been at part throttle and feeding the throttle in slowly? I think I said that last time which is why we tested on the road to check the knock sensor was quite stable in this range. It's been a while so we'd need more info from a lambda sensor.

All IMO, depends what you want as you could just leave it alone ;-)

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
To clear up the lean/rich questions. Multiply lambda by 14.7 to get the Air fuel ratio.

To keep it simple, AFR's for a turbo car at high load,
13.0 (0.88 ) is too lean
12.0 (0.82) is good
11.0 (0.75) is conservative
10.0 (0.68 ) is too rich.

12.5 (0.85) to 11.5 (0.78 ) is a normal range.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

As it turns out no we're not :lol: I was presuming that boost was on the left of the graph and afr on the right when it turns out looking at the graph Dan posting they're the other way round :doh:

Ignore what i said it actually doesn't look too bad and could even go a bit leaner. I thought it was a bit too much power for 0.9 bar :lol:
bollox i thought i was being clever, yes can see what you mean now, like you i was reading it wrong way round:der:

GTI_R

cheers jim
As it stands 1 bar is where it's running and i'm happy for the moment ..
i just wasn't sure what the other graph was showing
I won't be running it at 1.4bar untill it's been looked at ..