something doesnt feel right!

gtir_pimp

yesterday afternoon i went to tescos to fill up my R with petrol and i got about 5 miles down the road when i saw petroll come flying out the filler flap! i stupidly forgot to put the cap back in:doh: and must of chucked £10 worth of petrol away!:roll:

so in this short period of time i didnt have the cap in, the car felt a bit slower kind of like it had hesitation or turbo lag. put the cap back in and i still dont think its 100% right. when i take the cap off to fill up i sometimes notice it releases pressure so is there air in the tank now which could be a problem or is there something else its effected? And what can i do to sort this? will it just go away after a period of time?
any info welcome, thanks

davey red.r

had this prob with my astra gte 16v,is your cap a non ventalated one?
you will have to get one of those green plastic caps mate till you can get yourself an original cap, sounds like its a different petrol cap.
plus dont let your tank get lower than quater full, some uprated fuel pumps, will run like a bag of sh*te,especialy the bosch ones ,this is of course if you have an uprated fuel pump.

Last edited:

gtir_pimp

dont think its ventilated, but its a pulsar so will be the same as yours davey. i went back for the cap and it was still there and i put it back in straight away. i have a walboro pump too! now you mention the pump, i thought it sounded a bit different when priming before start up, but i thought that was me just being paranoid!

gtir_pimp

oh and i just spoke to bob and he said hes had it before. could be moisture in the petrol if its the bottom of the barrel from the petrol pump. i filled it up from tescos the 99ron stuff and as these stations are always busy the pumps can run quite low, hence moisture and crap getting in our cars:twisted:

M

mascot

just remember everyone is panic buying fuel at the moment and a few petrol stations mainly tesco have run out of fuel so you could of just got the bottom of there tank

also i thought you was supposed to have good presure when you removed the cap ment your fuel pump was working well or something along those lines

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I thought it was quite normal in summer. I get the pressure release quite often, but never have any running problems due to it.

gtir_pimp

i honestly cant remember if there was pressure when i opened the cap before i filled up. but when i took it off after i got back from the petrol station there was no hiss but maybe i doesnt always do it. i cant remember as i dont really pay attention as ive never had this problem before!

so if it hisses this means the fuel pump is working well? and should it do it everytime you take the cap off or not?