SR20DETT

LeeSmith

i've seen a few upgrades for this engine.......but it seems to be witht the tomei stroker kits......would it be possible to make an R a Twin Turbo? or doe it not produce enough exhaust gasses for it?

Mr GTiR

hummm heard quite a bit of talk about a twin turbo R but never seen any pic's or evidence to prove there is one :?

anyone? as i would love to see a SR20 DETT 8)

S

Sirnixalot

*shakes head in dismay*
"600gbp is too much for a good manifold that wont crack...but i want to spend 4k on a dodgy setup please"

You can do a dodgy manifold that will make EGT's and manifold pressure skyrocket (just like the stock RX7 bit...yeah...why do ya think they have heating problems?) this will get you your beloved twins at the expense of having a properly setup single turbo R beat the snot out of you.

To do this properly the R needs a bigger engine bay....a proper manifold would take up alot of space as well as the exhaust and intercooler piping.

also unless you know what your doing sizing twins is very hard...it wont be the linear engine you all make it out to be. You will basically get what suabru go with the legacy's ej20tt...decent pull.....3second gap.....more decent pull. There will be a flat spot in the cars power and accelleration. Personally...the wrx will spank this car and have a more linear feel

There are better things you can put money into on these cars...you will actually see better results

LeeSmith

:p thanks alot!!!! I just wanted to know a little more - cos my m8 just bought an RX7 on a L/M pl8 - (not sure) and i love the kick from the second turbo after the 1st!!! would be nice if the R had it! but as u say it probably isn't worth it :cry:

Thanks again :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It would be hard to do like Nikko says because of the size of the engine bay. If it could be done, Id' expect the best way would be with a small turbo to boost early and a bigger one to come in for the kill. I did see a cossie twin turbo'd back in the late 80s and they said it was like driving a big n/a car. It just pulled and pulled with no lag. (They obviosly got it right)

A

Allan GTI-R

it's been done before in Japan.

One of the guys in OZ bought an ex drag GTI-R built by some workshop over there.

From what he knew - this car ran 11.90, and was beaten on the day by a GTI-R with twin turbo's.

The event was 'all Japan drag championship 1998' if that helps ???

If it were me - twin TD06's would do nicely :)

Websnowbo

Yes but think of the time and effort that went into it............listen to Nikko, he pends a lot of time on the SR20DET forum and trust me if anyone would have made it work at a decent price them boys would have done it!!!!

BUT

These are supposed to be pictures of a Twin Tubby R in OZ

Just looks like an R with a big tubby on to me but the owner assures me its a twin.

Websnowbo

I dont know his name, a guy here in OZ sent me the pics. Can't remember his name either without trwling through my emails.