Standard MAF versus uprated question

A

AJ4

What is the reason for upgrading the MAF to the 300ZX one ? Is it because the throat diameter is restrictive at high flow, or is it because the platinum sensor reaches maximum range ? AFAIK, the Zx one is only bigger by 10mm, so not sure if it is a flow problem.

If its not a flow problem but purely electronic, I was wondering if it was possible to dam the standard one to reduce flow in the sensor chamber, hence increasing the range of the standard sensor. Would need a remap obviously as it would be reading low under normal conditions but I think it would work....

Does anyone know what the restriction actually is ( ie flow or electronic )

Cheers !

A

Anonymous

it`s just a question of air flow.think the std maf becomes restrictive at over approx 350bhp,whereas the z32 is good for something like 600bhp :D :D

skiddusmarkus

It's a lot more than 10mm.The bit the filter attatches to might be that but the other side of the standard MAF is reduced by quite a lot.

nismoboy

If its flow then surely we can just enlange it? cos if not the only way around it is z32 maf and an power fc or moetec but thats gonna cost loads :(

O

Odin

ashills said:
people who like a cold start option lol
lol your a funny man :lol: , My car starts and runs fine as long
as you leave it to warm up for a while, It's just a bit stuttery for
a mile or two but I'v been told this can be mapped out by a good
mapper, I just need to find one now :wink: .

rob