Start up oil pressure?

MarkTurbo

I've always wondered about this and just thought i'd see what other peoples R's are like.

When i start my R from cold my oil pressure sits here:

When i drive off with it not fully warmed up it goes right up to here:

This is where it sits at idle when fully warmed up:

It hasnt just started doing it or anything, its done exactly the same thing since i've owned the car. I just thought i'd see if its normal to get that sort of oil pressure :?:

I'm using mobil 1 15/50 fully synthetic oil :wink:

geetee

Looks about right.

Mine goes off the top of the gauge when I first drive off cold, but I think that's the guage playing up.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

J

jiw

when the oil is cold it is less viscous therefore it creates more pressure, dont they teach you anything at goodridge :roll: :wink:

MarkTurbo

jiw said:
when the oil is cold it is less viscous therefore it creates more pressure, dont they teach you anything at goodridge :roll: :wink:
I know that you cheeky f**ker :roll: :lol: I was just wondering how high everyone elses gets to thats all :wink:

J

jiw

i took my centre gauges out and binned them, got an spa oil tmp but not the pressure, did my head in when it was their i just got paranoia every time it moved lol

mattygti-r

take it youve UK spec then,my guages look nothing like that on start up

goes 6 , 4, then 2 when on idle

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Mine goes to abit over 4 then back down to 4 when hot and just under 2 on idle (jap gauge readings :wink: )

O

Odin

Mine goes up to about 5 when cold and drops just below 4 on idle when hot :wink: :D .

rob

A

Anonymous

yeah i must say mine do the same start on 6 then when warm down to 4 then when on idle when warm it sits on 2. so its all good! :lol:

geetee

Is just over 8 a problem?

I have that all the time when cruising a 70mph.

Anyone know of an engine fault that can cause excessive oil pressure???

:wink:

p.s. I only got this oil pressure problem when I replaced my centre gauges and had to pull the needles out. Have I created more oil pressure?

Yours.......

waiting for a Castrol RS facial

:lol: :lol: :lol:

geetee

No no, I'm sure that by moving the needle back and forth on the gauge I have pumped more pressure into the system :lol: :lol: :wink:

B

beast14

when i run my car hard........or after driving for a while.........at idle it's about 30psi..........is that still good??...........after short normal driving it's about 40psi...........

E

erricij

ill tell you what i am paranoid about mine start up its at 5 then drops to 2 on idle i am going out to the garage and ripping it out and binning it right now it does ma heed in as they say up here in scotland my daily driver is a scooby it dosent have an oil press gauge so no worries there ok im off to my garage with some spanners anyone want a gauge ?