starter motor and switch and some MOT questions

mattygti-r

wonder if anyone can help me.....

First problem. started car this morning and drove to southend, then home and a few miles out and about..ended up in standford and after 90mins came outside to start car...just went ...click...didnt turn over or anything..the immobiliser worked it just didnt start. I jumpstarted the R and it drove back fine no worries at all on boost etc no drop in power.

went to restart it, once it was home and click...no start...took the battery off and checked battery, its fully charged...thus alternator etc is ok too. alternator is a spanking new one about 2months ago. Cleaned the terminals on the battery as there ws alot of power on the - terminal. put battery back on and said to my mate "well may as well try it". it started frist time, no hesitation etc....and was ok..let it get to working temp and truned it off. Any ideas what this could be?

my mate reckons it could be starter motor..if so a) where is this located and b) and diagrams etc to show me. is this easy to replace? (im assuming not). im gutted as i cant risk going out for xmas and the thing not starting...

second prob....MOT is due in January. the horn dont work..ive looked at the prob solving posts and followed everything etc it stil dont work...does anyone have a spare or standard GTIR steering wheel i can borrow to use on MOT day? im in essex would appreciate it as the momo i have the previous owner seems to have f**ked it.

also alot of talk about fog light switches etc....ive not got one by the hazard switch etc...thou ive a switch with a green LED in by the right hand side of the steeringwheel by the controls for the miorrors. would this be it? it seems to do nothing??? im just thinking about my MOT. Its not a Clifford switch etc..as the car has never had an alarm on since import 3yrs ago.

any help appreciated guys...

mat

J

jasegould

Best thing to do with the horn is just go and buy a cheap switch and wire the horn up to that, it doesnt matter wher the horn switch is just aslong as it is in drivers reach..

And your starting prob sounds like that battery

mattygti-r

cheers mate yeah i may do that.

the battery is 100% working and charging fine....think it was the crud around the negative terminal thou that was my problem

thanks for the advice mate

just crap it thou that i take the R out and it wotn start again :cry:

A

Anonymous

could b a loose connection on ur starter motor circuit, cos i know that if one of the wires in the circuit is broken the car wont start and thats even if theres a break in any of the wires that may be running off the starter circuit. but if this is the case the car will turn over but just wont start. cos if ur havin probs with ur horn not workin it could mean u've broke a circuit which could b linked to the starter circuit. but if its not doing anything when u turn the key that means it aint sparking so could b ur starter motors fulty, u could do a ecu check to see if the car will tell if if its broke (jon will tell u how 2 do it) only other thing is could b other than electical is that u got a fueling problem in which the engine aint gettin enuff fuel from cold. but u would notice this as thecar would most likely stall on idle at random times.

mattygti-r

cheers guys,

most likey starter motor...horn has not worked for 6months (poss more) so dont think its related to that...

seems ok thou , and ive never had any prbs with the starter motor before hand ..so just a bit annoyed wiht it to be honest...

where abouts is it located on the R?

A

Anonymous

try doing a ecu fault code test, that might give u a deffernate answer if theres a problem with the starter motor, like i said jon knows how 2 do it cos it tells u how 2 do it in the manual. might be able 2 tell u where the starter motor is aswell....lol dont think its to hard 2 swap over tho.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd say starter motor, if it jumps ok and runs ok. If you had a duff alternator the car would only run til the bettery died fully. If you had a duff battery it should show up when you tested it.
The starter motor is on the rear of the engine attatched to the gearbox. I haven't done one, but by all accounts it's abit of a pig to do.

P

purplemonster

hi well here is my 2p worth lol

well it could be a starter or a batteryor wiring fault ? ? i have had the same fault on a rover in the past ,where it would start one minute and be totaly dead the next ? so i would start with a new battery first and try it .

the horn must work but the switch can be any where within arms reach ,but that has been previouly stated .

the rear fogs must work and have a tel-tale lamp that can be in the switch itself or in the dash.

ROBERT