sticking starter?

gtir bean

my car failed to start today for the first time.i drove into town then when i went to go home it wouldnt turn over,no clicking from the solenoid or anything.i tried to bump it and then it turned on the key and started.it seems if you leave it for a bit it starts as normal and will do if you stop/start a couple of times and then nothing again untill you leave it.could the solenoid be sticking?i dont fancy having to change the starter anyway:doh:

P

pulsarboby

sounds like contacts on solenoid are dirty or worn, time to get dirty im afraid to say

P

Pete

do you want me to post up how to mate and my way you dont have to take the transfer box and exhaust off ? or do you now how ?

P

Pete

no problem just trying to help you thats all :oops: :roll:
p,s which way are you going to do it if you dont mind me asking??

gtir bean

cheers for th offer;-) .i still need to have a look at it to decide what im going to do yet.i did half think of taking the whole engine out to put a new gearbox on but that seems like too much effort just now.

P

Pete

well if you need advice as too how i did mine without taking the engine,tansfer box and exhaust off just say and ill tell you :-D :-D about under 2 hours work :-D

gtir bean

so how do you do it?:p .i was thinking that going in from the top passinger side and lots of feeling about seemed like a plan but not had a good look yet.my sisters car is in the gar port now too so i need a dry day.:cry:

P

Pete

right first off disconnect battery from the front of the engine look to the right hand side and right at the back theres a gearbox mount take that off there 3 bolts holding it down and 1 bolt going throw the mounting take all that off and you should be able to reach behind the engine which then you should find a big metal plate with 4 bolts holding it in place 2 at the bottom right next to each other and other 2 are near the plenium 1st is on the right on the side off the plenium near where you dump valve pipe meets the plenium and the 2nd is on the left of the plenium right near the brake filler cap move it off the braket and reach down the back of there and undo that bolt now that plate should move back towards the bulk head now undo the 2 bolts holding the starter inplace which are on the side of the gearbox might have to move some wire out off the way and lift the starter with the wires still on you want be able to bring it too far out because the wires dont have much lenght in them theres just enough to take the plug and the 1 wire off replace the old unit and put wires back on and put it all back together mine took me just under 2 hours and i got quoted 4 hours to do it spanners you should need is 12mm 14mm and the same in sockets and long extansion bars and plus have you got front mount or top mount if you have top mount you will have to take that off as well if front mount you shoud be ok
hope that helps you out mate if you need pics just pm me and ill take some

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr GTiR

Remove as much as possible like your bov and intercooler pipe etc.

The first thing you need to do is move the big “Y” bracket at the back of your engine. It’s held in by 4 bolts (see C on diagram). You might also have a few other brackets in the way near your BOV, again remove these. With the “Y” bracket you won’t have enough room to remove it from the car but you should have enough room to move it back so you can squeeze the starter past.

Next thing to do is remove the bracket as per A. It’s held on by 3 bolts.

Then you can unbolt the starter motor which is held in place by 2 bolts as per B. The bolts actually go through the gear box bell housing.

Once it’s unbolted you should be able to get your hand round the back of the block and pull it backwards. Be careful as the starter motor has 2 cables attached to it.

To fit a starter it’s just the above but in reverse order.

Hope this helps.

gtir bean

thats it going again now.:p .i couldnt get the bolt off that holds the bracket up by the brake servo so just bennt it out the way and just squesed the starter out that way.i couldnt get the two lower bolts for the bracket to line up again so they will have to stay out untill the engine comes out.