Sticky brown caramel water

C

crackerjack

Hey all

Well on the weekend after finally getting the R back on the road Ive blown what I would say is the Headgasket...... Im not so sure now though cause I got the head off and the gasket doesnt look in bad condition.... The entire water system has a thick light brown cv like grease through it.... it was drinking oil and the sump has no water in it whatsoever.. so the oil is getting into the water system but not vise versa... have been told it could be a cracked head and also someone has told me that sometimes there is a problem with the factory oil cooler by the oil filter housing where oil can leak over into the water system... anyone heard of that before? I'll be fitting a new head gasket, checking the oil cooler housing checked out and the head pressure tested..... so fingers crossed i find it.

Just wondering if any of you guys have had the caramel trotts through the water system and if so what was the final cause of it?

Paul

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Not in my R, but from what I've read and past experience with other cars it sounds like a fair assessment.

Jim

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check your water bottle for oil as well.

Quite a few of us have had the standard oil cooler leak and put oil into the water system.
Oil system works around 60psi, water maybe 13 or so, so that'll explain the one way leak.

C

crackerjack

well found out that the last guy who got the engine rebuilt got a dodgy skim on the head and the gasket had a few cracks in it... so hope that all there is... whats the fix for the oil cooler? just a new one?

C

crackerjack

re seated all the vlaves last night, waiting on a head gasket cause i actually found out that the last owner went and slapped an silvia sr20det head gasket on grrrrrr!! so just waiting on that and she'll be good as new... well better be with a rebuilt gearbox, turbo, clutch in the last month, then the head gasket goes so i rebuilt the top end.... lets hope she stays on the road for more than a week this time :(