Strange one: dyno results.

Danny S R

Now then everyone,

Please can I have some opinions on the below circs! Very long, but left me stumped!

Over past few months I have fitted to my car

Turbo Technics stage one hybrid (was with Hiteq when I bought it and given the OK, no play in shaft etc when I checked it)
550 Sards
And replaced my stolen SAFC 2

Engine internals are standard with filter, plugs, exhaust, walbro etc on. (Basic mods) plus an ARC TMIC

Went to John Nobles yesterday to have it on the dyno. Had some trouble on the way there but was the air con pumps giving up, but the good lads there simply put on a smaller belt missing out the A/C. The car did however boil its coolant whilst sat waiting because the fans didn’t come in, one off, were fine the rest of the day, also the ABS light came on the dash when pump started its noises, again was fine when I got my car back. Just some background if it means anything...

Car got on the dyno and after 2 hours + it put out .......254.9bhp @ 1.2 bar! :sad: Daz the operator said he wasn’t sure what it was, the 550's were having to get knocked down on the AFC so fuel was there, and boost was held solidly. No fault codes. Only thing he said he could think of was det sensor was playing up and was retarding the ignition, BUT on SAFC readings (I know not exact) were good and as they should be, peaked at 38 on a good 40 minute blast back from Doncaster to my house

BUT this is the thing, the car is very fast compared to what it was! On the powergraph it just dies at 4000 RPM (will post it up) but it does not act like that, power full on til the redline, I’m well pleased with it to be honest! And it was running 1.3 bar/313bhp before....donpulsar on here can vouch for this as he was in the car! (Thanks again Steve :D ) (PS: Steves car has full 3" inc elbow turbo back exhaust, basically same mods as mine, on multichecker, I know again not exact, is running 280ISH, and was keeping chase on the way there running .7 bar (dusting off a Megane 225 :lol: ), so its not been too slouchy recently)

What’s going on!

THIS IS NOT A DISS ON JOHN NOBLES, THEY WERE ACE THE WHOLE DAY SORTED ME OUT WHEN IT WAS BEING A LITTLE S**T :lol:

Just want some idea why it hooned around on the road straight after it put out that pathetic figure on dyno!!!

Dan

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It shouldn't boil over, is your water pump OK, you're water system bled properly with no air locks, your rad in decent condition (not half the cooling fins missing)

Did they have a big cooling fan for the rollers? It may have been over heating on the rollers and detting just enough to throw a 34 and retard the ignition and drop the boost.

Did they say if it was running rich or not? could be the MAF playing up if so.

bawsack

Selling Up..
mate i feel for you, its so disapointing when you dont get the power you are expecting, but it still goes like stink on the road, as ive had 3 misrable runs, i really bad, but on the road its performance is at figures it should put out suggest.dont be to down harted by it honestly.as for you probs not that mechaniclly minded so couldnt comment but sure dont sound rite like.just go out and whip a few suposed fast cars makes ya fell beter.

bawsack

Selling Up..
no im no actualy from aberdeen mate, but use that word alot to decribe folk so it kinda stuck we me, quite embarassing at times it can be.

huu-raa

hi there your problem seems similar to mine last thurs i was on the dyno @ dastek . my car seems to spool and hit full boost really early , and on the road it feels like its holding boost to redline ect but other times its quick but feels gutless?
i ran it at 1bar and it made 288bhp @ flywheel and 255@ wheels
with walbro ,fmic , mines ecu , turbo back mongoose ill post up my graph so we can compare it to yours

Last edited:

Danny S R

Thanks lads, here is my graph, you can see what it put out at 1.3 bar in january in teh bold lines and what it put out at 1.2 bar with the new turbo injectors etc in the dotted lines.

Fast Guy: No it overheated when we arrived and they said it was no problem on the dyno, they bled the system before it went on. Had a water pump recently and rad is good. Said there was no problem with the maf as the SAFC was reading what it should be. Fuelling was fine, also said it was running no fault codes??

Huu Raa: that graph looks ok for 1 bar mate :wink:

And Bawsack, was gutted at time just on a mission to fix it now :D Least i could drive it home!! :lol: