Strip down in the little garage...pix included of course

S

Sirnixalot

Well....all the exhaust and intercooler stuff is finally done. So i get the car home and decide to check the compression. To my supprise this is what i got.

145-60-100-150

A good friend of mine was on hand to hepl diagnose the situation. Blown head gasket between cylinders # 2 and 3. So......i break out the wrenches :twisted:. In 4 hours the head was off and both surfaces cleaned with 2000 grit sand paper. Ready for the HKS 1.2mm head gasket (sorry Simon :oops:). I also too the time to sort out the awful rust and corrosion, some vacuum hose stuff and some wiring.

So far ive just gotten everything in place.......and thoroughly pissed off my mum :oops:

On to the pix!

YUCK!

Head after a good cleaning

Yeah and you thought the outside of my engine looked bad

Block and pistons after a good cleaning

Repositioned oil lines

@nd pic of re-routed oil lines and re-relocated oil filter

Two head are better than one!

M

memski

Jeez dude, you have been busy! Bit gutted for you to get an engine with a blown gasket :( Not long left now..... :D

S

Sirnixalot

LOL....sorry Dave but they were in no condition to be photographed.

I think i have gotten myself into the record book for an odd self infliction. I overlooked a rocker arm not seated on a shim properly. I proceeded to turn the motor over for the 2nd compression check. TO my suprise i heard a loud snap and felt a sharp pain in my shoulder :shock:. The shim was in my arm! Ive got to frame this thing. Luckily i had shims from my other motor so i could redo it properly. Ohh and my mum had a grand old time taking the shim out of my arm...AFTER i took out the cam and reshimmed it :oops:.

The compression results are no good...i think the torque wrench i borrowed is out of spec. I will be getting a proper one tommorow and probably redoing the head bolts tommorow evening.

I will be sure to post the results.

Well ive gotten a complete diagnosis on this motor.

The main bearing seal is no good. The idle air control valve was buggered (swapped it for my old one).

At this rate i will have to drop the engine, dismantle it completely. Refresh all the seals and gaskets. If i can find the funds i will most likely do pistons at the very least.

S

Sirnixalot

:oops: it will endure a few mins of pain to make sure my cam doesnt snap

Final diagnosis

THe compression test yeilded the same results with the HKS head gasket. As a further test i put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder and the compression results went up a few psi, this further points to the rings. Looks like ill be stomaching new pistons in a month :?

Compression test results with the oil 150-70-110-160

zia

i thought you,d already rebuilt the engine etc? is this your old engine? or did you fit second hand engine or something.

zia

S

Sirnixalot

no this is the engine i bought...its 2nd hand. I havent touched my engine internally before now. All the mods ive done (up to the head gasket) have take place outside the engine.

zia

did you buy it on the basis that it was sound? i,d take it back to the person you got it from.

zia

S

Sirnixalot

Yes i did...and on the later its a bit ahrd to do since i am in the caribbean and they are in the US