Struggling R

Wrong section I know, sorry!

R has been running pants for ages, went to powerstaion a while back and after playing with the timing got it up to 245bhp at 1 bar!!! Not good, The guy said the exhaust was restricting the engine from about 4000rpm upwards and needed replacing. So replaced it with a mongoose but doesn't feel much better, the boost kicks in and it pulls but still struggles at higher revs. My thoughts so far are... The frontmount pipework is too narrow or twisty although it's still wider than the turbo pipe and it's meant to be rated upto 400bhp I think, leaking boost, although that should be obvious shouldnt it? I have a forge dump valve, heard they can leak. Any other suggestions? The guy at powerstation did say the fuelling was spot on. Cheers

Dooie Pop Pop

Cambridge_pulsar said:
recently, has had a new fuel pump too, is it easy to check the voltage at the fuel pump?
assuming your ignition is also new :wink:

spose you could get a mate to sit in the boot with a voltmeter while you boot it :shock: :wink: :lol: would have been easier on a RR as it needs to be done under load.

but if they say fueling is ok..... :?

the standard t28 does run out of puff at high revs but 245bhp at 1bar sounds a little Jimmy to me :lol: maybe you are losing boost as you suggested but in that case wtf didn' t powerstation fix it? odd

so checking the voltage at idle wouldn't help? They were convinced it was the exhaust restricting it which seemed plausible as it was crap. Having read other posts rewiring the fuel pump seems like a good place to start. It makes and holds boost ok so I don't think it is leaking...

Wahoo! it gets better... decided to give it a wash, no harm in that, discovered one of the wheels covered in grease, hmmm split cv boot, not a disaster, goes to undo the wheel bolts to have a closer look and one of them is knackered! Can't get the wheel off, can't get hold of a cv boot anyway as it's xmas and it's meant to be going in for it's mot on Friday, god I hate this fukcing car :!:

Dooie Pop Pop

Cambridge_pulsar said:
Wahoo! it gets better... decided to give it a wash, no harm in that, discovered one of the wheels covered in grease, hmmm split cv boot, not a disaster, goes to undo the wheel bolts to have a closer look and one of them is knackered! Can't get the wheel off, can't get hold of a cv boot anyway as it's xmas and it's meant to be going in for it's mot on Friday, god I hate this fukcing car :!:
phone Mike at MJP 01277374201 good as gold and works from his house so you can ring him at funny times :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

Cambridge_pulsar said:
Does he have a magic wand? :D
unfortuanately.......no :(

he does know what a pulsar is though having owned one or two, plus some 200sx' s including a convertable :shock: :? :? and just lately a 350z :D

cut him in half and he has NISSAN written right through him :wink:

some of his prices come up cheaper than going to Nissan 8)

Is this ex gtir mike or another mike? what does he do, general R stuff? This would be letting the R get the better of me and admiting defeat which i'm not ready to do just yet, damn mother oh noing, naughty, touches oneself indecently pile of rusty crap :!:

Dooie Pop Pop

he' s another Mike and he supplies parts not fits them :wink:

just meant you have no confusion based problems when ordering with him :wink:

ah I see, well going back to the original problem would testing the voltage of the fuel pump at idle be of any use or does it need to be under load?

Dooie Pop Pop

Cambridge_pulsar said:
ah I see, well going back to the original problem would testing the voltage of the fuel pump at idle be of any use or does it need to be under load?
you said it was struggling at high revs :wink: