sucky sucky...help

Dooie Pop Pop

This is totally weird, after seeing some oil coming out of my bov i was a bit worried so i posted the prob (cheers ross) upgraded my breather system with an apple tango bottle and a wooden plug :roll: and thought i had sorted it.
today i decided to check and see how much oil had been left in the bottle only to find it empty :?
started engine, pulled hose off and found there was a vacuum :? revving engine makes no difference :?
iv use millers 10/60car for last 2 services (7kmiles) it had thinner oil in before and because it was leaking out of the old recirc dv( before hitec fitted the ssqv) i just assumed there was some old oil laying around the pipes and it was being pushed round.
the car doesn' t smoke on start up or after its warm and looking in my wing mirror when changing gears i cant see any puffs either :?
there is a slight oily patch where the intake goes onto the turbo but this is dry and has been there since i bought the car last sept i keep an eye on it. theres no change.
i put 3.7 litres of oil in last service with a new filter measured in a jug, thats correct yes? gonna do search just in case :oops:
am gonna check breathers for blockage, clean out oe seperator and intercooler and the hose from the plenum to the dv ( its lowest point is a bit lower than the dv)
i know iv got to change the rocker cover gasket as well as the spark plu seals because 2 are leaking a bit could this be to blame for tho oil and the vacuum?
also when filled with oil the stick shows way over the mark is 3.7ltrs too much then?
totally :? about this anyone got any idea' s

should say the hose iv vented to atmos is the one that comes from the right side of the rocker cover( as you face the engine) and is plumbed into the intake system. not the one on the left/ back of the cover. that is the right one isn' t it :oops:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
pulled hose off and found there was a vacuum
You should have a vacuum in the breather system on a good condition engine. You should only get pressure with blow-by, which indicates your rings are worn/wearing. (You may get some on boost, but you shouldn't be able to check that unless you're on a rolling road)

today i decided to check and see how much oil had been left in the bottle only to find it empty
Have you got a picture of this set up? If I'm interpreting it right, your tango bottle is a catch tank and you won't/shouldn't get any oil in it unless you engine is worn and blowing oil out of the sump into the breather.

Just fill the engine oil up to the mark on the dipstick, prefill the filter as much as you can, (but it mounts horizontally, so you'll loose oil when fitting it) then start and run the engine, stop the engine and top up to the line as necessary. 3.7 litres with filter (3.5 in the sump)

Are you using any engine oil?

Dooie Pop Pop

am using millers 10/60 fs now but when i first bought the car i was stupid enough to listen to 'the guy behind the counter' (can we have a 'absolute horror' emoticon please?)and put castrol rs in it (0/40 :shock: not the 10/60) i did about 1500 miles in that before i took it to hitec.
now iv discovered that' s a bit thin, lucky it was bloody cold this winter.
have removed and cleaned the dump pipe where i found some manky oil layin in the low point i mentioned, cleaned the intake side of the dv with a rag cos i didnt know if there were any fragile rubber seals so petrol was not a good idea.
also had topmount and the oil seperator off, found the seperator to be reasonably clean with little mank. the top mount was a bit oily mainly plenum side and have flushed both out with petrol and water washed for safety. left em both sitting on one end, found some sludge had collected in the end of the ic so i washed it through again 1 way only with petrol then rinced it clean.
took the inlet pipe off the turbo, no puddle just some manky oily deposit but i will say there' s an extension pipe attatched with a gasket so i left that alone, not sure if there was more laying close to the turbo but iv cleaned both connecting pipes.
if your saying that the oil shouldn' t be over the full mark (which it still is) that means i and the 'guy' before me must have overfilled it by a bit. i really really hope thats it and not the turbo :cry:
thanks for the bit about the breather did totally :? me .

cheers, stu
process is described in my oily plugs post in maintenance/servicing board.
gonna pick up a camera soon would be very helpfull :wink:

the dip stick is down about 3mm on what was in there when it was filled about 2kmiles ago, my old hyundi turbo(go on cane me :roll: ) when full of oil would only take a tiny bit extra to push it right up the stick so i haven' t worried about it, until now that is :(

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
A little over the full mark won't hurt, but if you're engine is worn overfilling can result in great clouds of smoke when it gets dumped out of the breather system and back in to the intake.
Over filling by a large amount could result in mechanical damage, but you'd have to be a complete numpty to overfill it by that much :wink:

A

AJ4

Dont worry about having no oil in your tango bottle, there shouldn't be. After a really long hard run I get a couple of mm's of condensed water in the bottom, the oil fumes are vented to atmosphere and dont seem to collect too much in the bottle ( although the inside walls of the bottle are a bit manky now :D )

I've also remove the pipework from the back of the engine that goes to all the inlets.

Curious though, where did you put the wooden plug ?? :D You didn't block off the pipe going to the oil collector on the front of the engine ? I assume you meant the pipe going to the intake.

Just out of interest, I tried running mine with the hose blocked on the oil collector as well, and it smoked like a bitch !. I'm assuming the pressure in the sump was blowing oil back up the piston.

Btw, I have positive pressure on the hose from the rocker cover, which is what I would expect with a small amount of blow-by from the valves etc ??

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ross said:
it smoked like a b***h !. I'm assuming the pressure in the sump was blowing oil back up the piston.

Btw, I have positive pressure on the hose from the rocker cover, which is what I would expect with a small amount of blow-by from the valves etc ??
Chances are it's more likely to be oil being forced across the turbos thrust bearing.

Blowby is across the piston rings.
A small amount of pressure isn't too much to worry about, but after I rebuilt the engine on my last car, it went from big ressure to big vacuum. :)

Dooie Pop Pop

Ross said:
I've also remove the pipework from the back of the engine that goes to all the inlets..

Curious though, where did you put the wooden plug ?? :D You didn't block off the pipe going to the oil collector on the front of the engine ? I assume you meant the pipe going to the intake
remving pipes from back? thought about this, decided not to im chicken :oops: is this what you meant in the 'oily plugs' thread? does seem like a better idea but i wondered where the fumes go :?

yep was the one on the air intake i blocked :wink:

am pretty glad to say (i think) that there' s good vacuum from the breather on tickover which increases when revving the engine. the bottles clean, not even any water