Surging problem with GTiR...

A

Anonymous

Ok, for a while now ive been having problems with my car. Every now and then (it does it pretty much all the time now) it runs really sh*t and starts surging... Like it feels like somethings blocked up theres no gas getting through. Its still boosting but just running bloody shocking!!

Ive taken it iin to a turbo mechanic and they dont know whats wrong- which really sux! because it never surges when they have it!

Ive had it put on a dyagnostic computer to see if it was anything electrical, but it wasnt. Ive had new performance spark plugs put in. and had it serviced.

Any ideas on what could be causing this will be much appreciated!!!

Cheerz :twisted:

J

jasegould

Does it do it after you have been sitting in traffic at idle? Could be heatsoak, intercooler gets hot and the car will run shite until it gets some cold air thru it

A

Anonymous

No its not tthat, it just does it randomly - and now more than ever... :shock:

A

Anonymous

loose connection on the MAF? :?

getting any blake smoke coming from the exhaust?

A

Anonymous

More info please
How does it go if you thrash it, still have the problem?
Does it happen around corners?
Is the car hot or cold when it happens?
Does it happen at certain RPM?
Have you done the ECU check?
Have you done any work to it since it last went well?

Possibilities and common R faults -

Crank angle sensor
Water in plug
Fuel filter blocked
Plug gap
DET sensor
Dizzy cap
Plug leads
Faulty fuel pump

All these things could cause problems like you describe.

A

Anonymous

bd581 said:
More info please
How does it go if you thrash it, still have the problem?
Does it happen around corners?
Is the car hot or cold when it happens?
Does it happen at certain RPM?
Have you done the ECU check?
Have you done any work to it since it last went well?

Possibilities and common R faults -

Crank angle sensor
Water in plug
Fuel filter blocked
Plug gap
DET sensor
Dizzy cap
Plug leads
Faulty fuel pump

All these things could cause problems like you describe.
Hey - it does the same when i put my foot dwn - sometimes starts shuddering, doesnt blow black smoke - but sometimes when i idling blows thick white smoke. It normally happens when ive been driving it for a about 1/2 an hour, but now it does it when cold aswell.

Its been doin it ever since i bought the car, so hasnt got anything to do with me putting anything on i wouldnt think?

Havent done a ecu check but definatly will get all that stuff you mentioned checked out :)

keep those ideas coming!

E

Eric Yellow

but sometimes when i idling blows thick white smoke. It normally happens when ive been driving it for a about 1/2 an hour, but now it does it when cold aswell
Thick white smoke is not good, specially when the engine is warm....get a compression test done, maybe the headgasket is gone...

A

Anonymous

Yeah i got a comprssion test done and eeverything was sweet - weird aye :shock:

Ive booked it in with a mechanic for tomorrow morning, so will get the ECU check and everything else you guys mentioned checked aswell :)

Thanks for all the ideas :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it's random, it could be a broken wire somewhere. I'd check all the injection system and maf for starters. :?

S

samellio

Mate,
Turn it off when it does it, wait for a minute then turn it back on..
Does this solve it???

A

Anonymous

Thanks fastguy ill get that checked out too :)

And Samellio - no that doesnt solve anything, well maybe for a minute or so? but i cant keep doin that forever!!

A

Anonymous

I wonder how many mechanics know how to do an ecu check on a R, and also the codes

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I wonder if your turbo is dying :?

I think Samellio was hinting that it might be detting, the ecu compensates for this by retarding the ignition and tuning the engine off resets this until you det again.

A

Anonymous

Fastguy - No its not my turbo - thats what i though and got the turbo looked at.

i spoke with a guywho use to have a GTiR and he said he had the same problem. Turned out itt was a wire under the back seat for the fuel pump or sumthn? That sounds logical, so Ill have a look dwn thre this wekend :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
MissGTiR said:
but sometimes when i idling blows thick white smoke. It normally happens when ive been driving it for a about 1/2 an hour, but now it does it when cold aswell.
That's what a turbo on a previous was doing to me, engulfing the car in smoke at idle, but it was abit of an intermittent thing, it wouldn't do it every time I sat idling :? . It stopped when I finally changed the turbo.

K

KrissJ

I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!!

I was just about to post up about it when I read this thread.

Mine judders and won't boost properly (upto about 0.5 bar) when I travel fairly long distances. It only does it when warm but will carry on doing it til I turn it off even if it cools back down.

It feels really hesitant when it does it and very slow. I've had it serviced with platinum plugs but its not sorted. There's never any pressure in the pipes n no gunk under the oil cap so 'touch wood' its not the head gasket.

I've noticed white smoke at times under acceleration but not at idle and I've been told that turbo'd cars often put out white smoke when being pushed hard. Does it sound like it'd be the same thing?

A couple more queries as well: what does detting mean? And, are the problems listed serious? I ask this as I've got a load of problems to sort out at the moment (incidently none of which are actually my fault which makes a change but is extremely frustratin!) and a serious cash flow problem so need to get my priorities right.

Cheers :D