suspesnsion settings

Bart GTI-R

Hi there all, i have read the sticky at the top of this forum, its really good, Iv finally lowered the car and I have whiteline springs on the rear and 30mm lowering springs on the front. Im taking it for a 4 wheel alignment tomorrow and the chap wants some settings as he hasnt got any.

I have all the standard information but as it has been dropped should i make changes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Gregg

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback on the sticky, I will get round to finishing it off at some point on questions like this.

This is a fairly simple setup and getting on my soap box it would have been nice to see some uprated dampers in there too but we have all been there :oops:

Not a lot is adjustable on a standard r, only your toe. For a road car with a simple setup I'd keep your settings simple too.

0deg toe front and back

Expect your camber to have increased by -0.5 degs. This can help in certain situations.

In the alignment, check if anything is badly "out", you might need to start replacing parts to correct the problem as nothing else is adjustable.

Just a query on your springs. Whiteline springs drop the car's rear by 40mm but you've got 30mm on the front. Was this part of some handling strategy?

You might find this increases the understeer but nothing in setup's is straight forward and you might still be happy with the end result.

Bart GTI-R

Cheers for the reply campbellju, i thought you might give some advice. I wanted to get the car the same level and i was tolled that the front were 30mm but they looked lower to me so i went for the whiteline in the end. the R looks mint and looks like the rear may be a tad higher but im happy.

I will just keep improving the suspesnsion but until next month comes im a bit skint now. cheers for the info mate.

Regards Gregg

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
No Problem.

Standard rears are 10mm higher than the front so you're plan to level out the car with a 10mm less drop on the front would work.

In practice you can find that poorly manufactured springs might make a 10mm-20mm difference in drop ignoring any issues with weight distribution.

If in doubt measure it. My coilover sticky is long winded but would tell you how.

Cheers,
Jim