Tesco Fuel Warning

geetee

I know a lot of people on here and the "other" club use Tesco 99 RON.

I would like the 2 clubs to share any info on this, there's more than a few of us on both sites and by current accounts this can lead to serious engine damage on even "normal" cars".

Picked this up on the 10 o'clock news tonight:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6405051.stm

Unfortunately the item does not specify any particular type of petrol from Tesco. It does refer to "green fuels" but I don't know if that is just down to their supplier.

I'm sure the same depots supply lots of other brands and from previous discussions around fuel it's down to what they chuck in even at the point of loading the tanker. Although this seems a little more widespread than just tanker level.

Interesting that it reportedly only seems to be affecting younger than 3 yr old cars. If that is the case I think the lambda death is only a part of the puzzle. Maybe the affected cars have other exhaust gas sampling?

Too little information to be much use.

Also interesting Pulsator (modifiers) reckons the same problem exists with Shell too. As I have heard that Shell and Tesco use the same depots the only difference being the additives, this need substantiating.

Probably recycling contaminated fuel from Buncefield or something ?

Who knows... but be aware that if your car suddenly starts going like poo it may just be the fuel.

Those who can please keep both threads updated. If there actually is a genuine problem with this fuel we need to get everyone's problems collated to put a size 12 into Tesco for damages.

Ta GT

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
paulb81 said:
everyone on here should be using V Power anyway !!
You would hope so anyway! Then again each R responds differently to different types of fuel :nod:

stumo

A guy i know works in a refinery, he says that the supermarket fuels are only cracked for 40 mins, normal branded fuels are done for an hour, this leads to a sludgy substance full of the heavy molecules that are normally not present due to the extra cracking.This will eventually clog the injectors,.

They also add the highest amount of Ethanol allowed.

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
This is turning into a joke - loads of people are claiming for damage to their engines because of the contaminated fuel - when our engineers have checked no contaminated fuel even entered the car itself!

Now a days people just try & claim for everything when there's the slighest hiccup! Stupid D!ck heads :roll:

boucherie

just heard on the local news that they think it could be an excessive amount of silicon in the fuel, something to do with the additives that the various companies use?

MarkTurbo

Just seen on the news that some garages are so full of cars all with the same problem that they're not taking anymore in :shock: Whatever companys fuel is to blame is gonna get one hell of a bill :lol:

boucherie

im just waiting for someone to declare "GOVERNMENT CONSIPRACY" by disrupting the fuel used by the public thus forcing us to use public transport whilst vehicles are off the road or car share with someone else!!

chrism

warringtonjack said:
Probably me just being thick, but what is the consequence of excessive Ethanol in the fuel?
the consequence of too much ethanol is that ethanol contains roughly 30% less energy than petrol so more fuel need sto be pumped through to get the same energy.This can lead the engine to det if the ethanol level is too high(if the ecu has not been mapped for ethanol).So too much ethanol in fuel can cause damage to the engine,as its still pumping in the same amount of fuel even though it contains less energy.
Another problem is that it is more difficuilt to hear if an engine is pinging when running on ethanol.