The Turbo: a strange and bewildering device

:D why does my turbo back off when the oil temperature isn't a million degrees? I can drive it for hours, but if i haven't used boost, when i go to spin the turbo up it makes the usual big sucking noise but doesn't accelerate like it should. :?: :?: It holds back especially badly in fifth gear accelerating hard from 70mph up.

If the oil temperature is higher, (around the fourth mark on the guage) i get instantaneous boost with minimal lag the way it should be.

I've heard of people having probs with a turbo holding back because of too much heat, but never because of not enough!!

That's why before i did the sprint at Trax i had to sit in the que revving my bl@@dy engine all the way to the line, to keep the heat up!!!

Somebody please tell me what's going on.
It make a no sense :roll:

A

Anonymous

maybe you need to check the movement of the shafts in the turbo :?:

i would imagine that the hotter it gets in there the easier it would spin if it was stiff.....?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is the coolant temperature reading hot or cold when the oil temp plays up? I don't know if the ecu has any protection for low oil temp, but mine seems to go ok when cold (ish) but not stone cold.

What oil do you have in the engine?

No, the coolant temp never, ever, ever strays from the usual middle point.

My oil seems to cool down a lot quicker now its winter too (makes sense i suppose.)

Glad i put my winter vent blanking plates in now, stops the hot air escaping quite so rapidly!
Maybe the old fella could do with a blanket wrapping round his engine! :lol:

K

kizzyturbo4x4

you should never! spool up your trbo without
having a oil temp much lower than the temp it lands at when hot.
If you read your cars handbook it will show you just what i sad, let everything get to operating heat temps before pushing it!
spinning up your turbo when cold (metal,bearings,oil is cold and not well lubricated) will possible destroy it fast.

K

kizzyturbo4x4

uppsss....

never spool up your turbo without
having a oil temp close to the temp it lands at when hot
. :oops: fast writing comes out bad.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
kizzyturbo4x4 said:
If you read your cars handbook
What hand book :p I think hardly anyone who's got an import will have one. :(
But yes, never a good idead to try thrashing your car when the engine's cold.

:D Thanks Kizzy, but err, where did i say that i do that? I know not to do that. In fact the opposite. i think i'm too careful sometimes- that's probably half my problem with keeping the oil temp. up when driving- i don't rag everywhere. :?

Oh yeah, i'm using a fully synth 10W 50 at the mo Fast Guy.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Have you tried doing an ecu code check? Possibly you're driving so slow you're getting heat soak :p start ragging it abit more :D

K

kizzyturbo4x4

yes, at the other hand not spinning your turbo at all may not be that good either ;)
just sort out what "normal" driving should be :wink:
and a heat soak may of course appear. all the metal in your inlet pipes wont get any real cooling without good airflow throught them.
thats a well know problem with the standard topmount ic.
i can remember that... it crusing town nights.. it was no real intercooler.. more interwarmer :? :?

K

KRS

I wait till over 70 degrees on the oil temp gauge before I let the Turbo spool and I though I was being generous. Should I let it warm up more?

Thanks folks, i've stopped treating the R like it's fragile and it seems to like it. :lol: Still don't murder it though, but just try to drive it more like an NA car and use a bit of boost as soon as the oil temp has climbed onto the scale.

A

Anonymous

How comes no one told him to check his spark plugs, HT leads and dizzy cap? These are the prime cause for most engine hessitation problems.