Towball?

A

andysc

I'm needing to to use my R to pull a trailer for crossers.
Has anyone ever seen or had a towball fitted to the back of the R.
I've seen plenty scoobs with them but never a gtir!!

any help would be appreciated

cheers

Andy

stumo

You'll need to have one made, Nissan never made one and i doubt anyone like witter would have done either.

If you do get one made , you'll have to tell anyone who asks that it was fitted before (i think) 1999 as you can't fit one without it being tested to British Standards.

A

andysc

cheers. I'll try & design one. I'm a struct engineer anyway, designed my crossr
trailer too.
though was having a look under the back the other day(changin springs), theres not much to connect too, even with the standard BB in the bin.

G

GTI-R Kid

I think there's 4 gromits in the boot (2 each side) which are there for the fitting of a towbar to the car. I asked about it before but didn't get far. Only ever seen one pic of a GTI-R with a towbar (had a roof rack too) but it was red and foreign (could have been German but not sure).

J

jpward

My old RS Fiesta had a ball on it and it was only linked to the rear legs i too thought about fitting one possibly from the diff carrier and to the bumper bar in some way with the BB away shouldnt be that hard and you could always get one of those removable balls so you'd not see it when not in use! ;-)

J

jpward

Should'nt be as hard to make one thou cos there's no rear wheel hanger or bb in the way!

G

GTI-R Kid

jpward said:
They will be for the 2WD floor pan :sad:
Been thinking about that. Surely the 4 mounting points would actually be the same? The points where the holes are should be on the same level as the standard car?

Only thinking here, haven't actually checked it out yet. Thinking about it seriously though, and a detachable ball would be very handy for when its not being used. In a round-about way wouldn't it be like a brace too joining the rear points together and thus giving more rigidity at the rear?

J

jpward

GTI-R Kid said:
Been thinking about that. Surely the 4 mounting points would actually be the same? The points where the holes are should be on the same level as the standard car?

Only thinking here, haven't actually checked it out yet. Thinking about it seriously though, and a detachable ball would be very handy for when its not being used. In a round-about way wouldn't it be like a brace too joining the rear points together and thus giving more rigidity at the rear?
Right well easy seen you aint been under the rear much hehe the floor plan is different in a few ways namely the fact you now have a Diff in the rear and because you have less room for the BBox it went transversal, now that left the spare wheel which went into the boot as no where else left and had to be angled as no propper well could be created.

So points where 2WD would fix too actually wouldnt be there as "Other items" now in that place

Im Sure Stevey Put Put could fab something up that would work you never know it could be his next ebay money spinner :p

A

andysc

I thing it should be fairly easy to get something to work. I had a really good look at all the current bolting arrangements last weekend, and there does seem to be a decent spread of bolts nearer the car sides which could give a good brace arrangement. Not too keen on bolting to the diff, but the bar to the rear of this has plenty places to redrill, plus it's a decent thickness.
I'm going to make it so the "ball" is really easy to remove when not using.
I'll bash on when I have time & once it's proven to work ok I'll let you all know!

J

jpward

gtir bean said:
i have a shell sitting in my drive that had one at one point.it has part of it on the car still.
Can you throw up some pics? ;-)