Track setup Advice needed!

RO_SUNNY

Ok guys,

Another question.

I will go (on August) on the Hungaroring and I will need some advise on how shall I set up my handling.

Please help.

This is what I already have on my car:

Whiteline:
-Front Sway bar - 27mm heavy duty
-Rear Sway bar - 20mm heavy duty blade adjustable
-Front Brace - lower control arm
-Front Camber adjusting bolt kit - 12mm
-Front Control arm - lower inner rear bushing (anti-lift/caster correction)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
What kind of guidance are you looking for? Geometry options, tyres or buying new bits to put on?

track preparation. Bleed your brake fluids before a track day. 1st advice.

Handling.... Very subjective. The guru's of setup advice is all on board haha.
If you are talking about chassis setup.
I'm running -3deg front camber
-0.5 deg rear camber
toe out by 20min front and rear
Rear anti roll bar set to maximum

as for adjustable dampers. usually i set the front softer and rear harder.

I'm running R888 tyres. start off at 28psi cold. after a warm up session, i come back in and adjust the tyres for 32psi HOT.

My setup might not be to many people liking as i like a tail happy car.

A bone stock car on a race track is still good fun.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This plus....

If it's your first trackday Bogdan then no need to go wild. I'd just use whatever tyres you have on the car and go kill them off. Set your rear ARB to full stiff, picture below from wiki, I'd assume you have a whiteline which is the top style:

Toe, is quite subjective and dependent on the track. I don't know the circuit but it looks like it has a good mix of slow and fast corners: http://www.gdecarli.it/php/circuit.php?var1=420&var2=2 (Corner radius of 20m to 400m)

As a starting point go 0.1deg toe out front and 0.1deg toe in at the rear. Worst case you find the car doesn't rotate enough but better this than you find it goes backward really easily into a fence! Toe in at the rear makes it easier to catch things when it goes wrong.

Camber is dependent on your tyres, aim for -2deg front and -1deg rear. As mentioned by Babygodzilla, Stickier tyres would need more camber at the front on a circuit.

Dampers set in the middle, try both stiffer and softer at the front and the back. It's impossible to give any guidance except from the passenger seat. Try it and see what works for you.

Its only a trackday, just have fun :)

red reading

As the lads above state, I find the car prefers a front wheel drive setup as well, I use ado8 and a048 yokohama's depending on circuit and aim for 32 psi hot as well

nickr

same as babygodzilla i like a car that rotates, even with the below setup i feel like its still a big pig and doesnt want to rotate, and still incredibly forgiving.

my street car setup
2.7 degrees camber front 1 degree rear
0.1 deg toe front and 0 rear
whiteline bar full stiff in rear
6kg front spring 7kg rear spring with damping 60% of maximum in front and 90% of maximum rear (on a track only car i'd up that rate a fair amount depending on the tire used)
modena lsd in front
nismo 2 way rear
all poly bushed
bridgestone re11's which will likely be replaced with hankook rs3's