Turbo - get it remanufactured or buy a bigger one?

dombat

My turbo is beginning to smoke a bit (on idle when cold, boosts fine and the oil level hasn't really dropped, stops smoking when warm) so it's not too bad yet.

Shall i get it reconditioned with better bearings, etc, or go for one of the bigger turbos that everyone mentions on here?

I'm looking really at 300-350bhp (ultimately) with low lag.

I presume it would make sense to replace the oil and water pipes with the braided one's at the same time.

dombat

Do the GT<xxx> turbos that people mention on here have more lag than the standard one?

I would be tempted if there is similar lag. I don't like waiting for boost!

marcymarc

dombat said:
Do the GT<xxx> turbos that people mention on here have more lag than the standard one?

I would be tempted if there is similar lag. I don't like waiting for boost!

GT2871r is the turbo you need mate, fits the criteria your after :thumbsup:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
both the GT2871r and the GT3071r spool up and are far less laggy than the standard nissan unit

O

Odin

stevepudney said:
both the GT2871r and the GT3071r spool up and are far less laggy than the standard Nissan unit

Both are very good turbo's I agree, But he said 350 bhp max and those two would both be over kill for his requirements, The disco potato is a perfect match and is an awesome turbo if you believe all the write ups ;-) 8) .

Rob

dombat

Why's it called "disco potato"?

I look into, there's a few threads that come up via search. cheers.

GTIR-LOZ

sounds more like your valve stem oil seals than your turbo, turbo is usually constant and when changing gear etc

dombat

Yeah, crossed my mind too. Probably get a turbo and a rebuild (and a bit of rust fixed) as just done the whole suspension, brakes and wheels!

Can the valve seals be tested, like a compression test or something?

Last edited:

GTIR-LOZ

not really as the compression should be fine its quite hard to tell diff between turbo and valve stem seal failure sometimes, but its alot cheaper to replace the valve stem oil seals first(if you do it yourself)8)