turbo issues

bakewell

hi was wondering if anyone could help. turbo started to smoke not long after having clutch renewed only seems to smoke when you come of boost puff and sometimes chuks out quite alot. Not really using alot of oil no more than normal. Also the psi keeps dropping slightly any ideas cheers kedi

neil240z

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be broken piston lands, it could well be turbo though, take the intake pipe off and check for play in the shaft, also check for oil in the intercooler pipes, a turbo lasts roughly 70k, it wont be clutch related obviously.

bakewell

cheers mate i had alook no play in turbo but their is oil in intercooler pipes got a new turbo to put on it so ill try and get it changed cheers

neil240z

no pobs, try your new turbo, a turbo can still blow oil past the seal/bearing with no play so your new turbo could well solve your problem and is fairly easy to fit. if it still smokes on overrun then its pistons and a rebuild.

best of luck.

Neil

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Digging up an old thread.....

Pulled my intercooler off last night and found a little oil on the turbo intake side. Car don't seem to smoke when hot etc. Is it normal for there to be a little oil there or is my turbo on its way out?

djdoc360

kenan said:
Digging up an old thread.....

Pulled my intercooler off last night and found a little oil on the turbo intake side. Car don't seem to smoke when hot etc. Is it normal for there to be a little oil there or is my turbo on its way out?

Do you have a oil catch can? It could be oil from the valve cover to the intake pipe.