Turbo oil pipe

crag

I no someone who has just blew a GT3071R turbo on his pulsar, Apparently due to oil starvation and the turbo company have said it could be due to the oil feed pipe.

The oil feed pipe was from hose solutions

I phoned RC developments and they have said you should have a 2mm restrictor inside the oil pipe (but according to hose solutions they dont)

Or,

Someone has said you can get the 2mm restrictor inside the turbo, Is this true

What is the best option i ent got a clue

Help

Fusion Ed

every 3071 core we have seen has one built in. Im certain that all the GT/R series cores have them already.

Ed

ashills

i used the hose solutions pipe on my 3071 and turbo was inspected afterwards and said to be perfect was the oil feed bleed before car was run

Adam L

GT cores have a restrictor built in. Unless his oil pump is on it's last legs I doubt it's oil starvation, considering rollerbearings don't require much oil pressure to opperate, just a steady flow of oil will keep them well.

gtir350

This is what garrett say

Does my turbo require an oil restrictor?
Oil requirements depend on the turbo's bearing system type. Garrett has two types of bearing systems; traditional journal bearing; and ball bearing.

The journal bearing system in a turbo functions very similarly to the rod or crank bearings in an engine. These bearings require enough oil pressure to keep the components separated by a hydrodynamic film. If the oil pressure is too low, the metal components will come in contact causing premature wear and ultimately failure. If the oil pressure is too high, leakage may occur from the turbocharger seals. With that as background, an oil restrictor is generally not needed for a journal-bearing turbocharger except for those applications with oil-pressure-induced seal leakage. Remember to address all other potential causes of leakage first (e.g., inadequate/improper oil drain out of the turbocharger, excessive crankcase pressure, turbocharger past its useful service life, etc.) and use a restrictor as a last resort. Garrett distributors can tell you the recommended range of acceptable oil pressures for your particular turbo. Restrictor size will always depend on how much oil pressure your engine is generating-there is no single restrictor size suited for all engines.

Ball-bearing turbochargers can benefit from the addition of an oil restrictor, as most engines deliver more pressure than a ball bearing turbo requires. The benefit is seen in improved boost response due to less windage of oil in the bearing. In addition, lower oil flow further reduces the risk of oil leakage compared to journal-bearing turbochargers. Oil pressure entering a ball-bearing turbocharger needs to be between 40 psi and 45 psi at the maximum engine operating speed. For many common passenger vehicle engines, this generally translates into a restrictor with a minimum of 0.040" diameter orifice upstream of the oil inlet on the turbocharger center section. Again, it is imperative that the restrictor be sized according to the oil pressure characteristics of the engine to which the turbo is attached. Always verify that the appropriate oil pressure is reaching the turbo.

The use of an oil restrictor can (but not always) help ensure that you have the proper oil flow/pressure entering the turbocharger, as well as extract the maximum performance.

Adam L

What Garrett don't mention is how badly the restrictors are designed in the GT series turbos;-)

I suppose it's a cash in garantuee for Garrett as they won't release ''rebuild'' kits for rollerbearings

crag

Your right there mate as its under gaurantee which you can wipe your **** on these days they still want full payment for a new unit as its the oil feed pipe at fault they say.

So all GT turbos have restrictors in them, which company is telling porkies,

I rang the turbo company and they said its bulls-it that there is a restrictor in the turbo.

Strange

gtir350

Adam L said:
What Garrett don't mention is how badly the restrictors are designed in the GT series turbos;-)

I suppose it's a cash in garantuee for Garrett as they won't release ''rebuild'' kits for rollerbearings
I Thought all of the New Garrett turbos are the GT range ?
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbochargers.html

You can then find out if your turbo is a journal or ball-bearing turbo type.

It looks like they dont have restrictors fitted as standard to me.

As you say your problem is oil starvation a restrictor has nothin to do with it, unless you fitted two.

Last edited:

Hose Solutions

Think you should think get the facts straight 1st on this....'but according to hose solutions they dont'.....

At no point have I, nor anyone else here ever advised someone either way on restrictors like you mention....nor do I know any oil feeds that are specifically made to restrict oil at 2mm without a built in restrictor.....

If someone wants a restricted oil feed then we supply one, if they dont ask for one, they get a normal braided oil feed, and if they ask, we advise people in that same way. How could we possibly tell a customer if they needed an oil feed restrictor without seeing the turbo and checking if it had one or needed one ourselves?

And as other people have rightly pointed out to you in this thread, if a turbo dies because of oil starvation, what does not having a restrictor have to do with that???!!!!! Restrictors funnily enough restrict oil even more you know....!!!

Last edited: