Turbo options...this one's a bit urgent!

Pete Watson

Asked this one the other day, have had a good look at the site but so many options. Looking to get after all mods completed, 350-380bhp.

Looked at the following options: ND Roller Brng Super Hybrid, MD205 and GT28RS.

My concern really is that i have seen a few owners have said about cracked casings, i spoke to a couple of UK suppliers and asked them about this and they told me that it was normal and shouldn't affect the performance. I have also spoke to a supplier who told me to stay away from roller brngs :!: Is this right :?:

The turbo on mine at the moment is the std fitment, i took it off to replace the Gaskets as they were blowing, when i removed the exhaust elbow i noticed 2 cracks by the wastegate, this is why i have decided to change it and of course looking for more power in the future would mean having to upgrade anyway.

Any quick help in these areas would be much appreciated as i am waiting to order. Only had the car 2 months and it's off the road already :cry:

O

Odin

The only problem with a roller bearing turbo is that you can't rebuild them
and have to replace the center houseing if it brakes :wink:, But they spool up alot quicker so less lag 8), And if you look after it with reg oil
changes it should last for a long time :wink: .

Out of them turbo's you have listed I would prob go for the md 205 :wink: .

rob

Nad

Well a T28 hybrid on roller bearings will get that, not sure if these are the same size housings but will get u 370bhp. Norris do one i think.

V explain more about the RB replacement. My rebuild cost me £900 when my bearing went but then I drove it while it was knackered and killed the blades as well.

Nad

skiddusmarkus

I'm a bit worried my MD214 might have been damaged when my engine went t**s up(spark plug electrodes chewed up and might have dmagaed turbine on way out).I spoke to a guy who is an official Garrett dealer and he says they can be rebuilt and it's not that expensive,so conflicting reports.

O

Odin

Nad said:
Well a T28 hybrid on roller bearings will get that, not sure if these are the same size housings but will get u 370bhp. Norris do one i think.

V explain more about the RB replacement. My rebuild cost me £900 when my bearing went but then I drove it while it was knackered and killed the blades as well.

Nad

I'v been told you cant rebuild them :!: If that's wrong great it could save me a few bob in the future then 8) . JGY said if I fucked mine I could just buy the core and reuse my coated outer housings.

rob

Pete Watson

OK, is this something worth doing or is it a bit special?

Do any of you run without the turbo heat shields fitted, they are such a pain to fit back on

Cheers Pete

O

Odin

Pete Watson said:
OK, is this something worth doing or is it a bit special?

Do any of you run without the turbo heat shields fitted, they are such a pain to fit back on

Cheers Pete
You could always heat rap the manifold and turbo then there's no need for
the heat shields :wink:. i'v seen a few people with this done.

rob

zia

ball bearing can be repaired it depend how the wheel have been attached to the shaft, previous turbo you could remove the wheel by undoing the the end nut on the wheels then replace the bearing and have it balanced on machine, on the these newer one the wheel are pressed onto the shaft which mean you carn,t take it apart new bearing,shaft,wheel have to be fitted

zia

ashills

how many people have put there heat shielld back on then as mine are all sitting in the garage rustin

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I've got the MD205 "S" on my car and run it on 1.2 bar, the only problem I've found is although it pulls well from really low down in the rev range and will hold the boost to the red line, but the power feels like it tails off a bit above 6k.
I've talked to Craig at Turbo Dynamics about this and he said it was down to the smaller AR Turbine housing they use. Turbo Dynamics will use a .64 AR turbine housing as standard for our cars (this is why it pulls so well from low revs) and the turbine housing on the standard turbo is .86 AR. So he suggested I either move up to a MD214 "S" (about £350 to convert mine) or change the Turbine housing to a .86 AR (about £150).
According to a little bird the MD214 is very close in spec to a GT2835.
Norris Designs ( TD supply ALL Norris Designs turbos) are supplying a new Hyper Turbo and getting some really good results apparently and the new design is supposed to be based around the GT2835.

I will be going for a GT2835 "S Pro" and run about 1.4 - 1.5 bar............I think :roll: .