type of petrol?

kev_200uk

hey guys and galls
had my pulsar for a few months now, cause of it bein an import ive always been told to use optimax, which ive done anyway.Tesco have brought out a new petrol which is at 99.0 RON compared to the optimax which is at 98.2 RON, ive yet to see this new petrol but its supposed to be cheaper that shell, another thing tesco's super unleaded is at 97.0 RON and is nearly 7p a litre cheaper than optimax, so basically what im askin is would it be ok to use the super unleaded thats 1 RON in difference and to save a wad load of cash to
cheers
chris

C

Chi-town

there are and will be post about this. so search or wait for the next post to come up.

youngsyp

According to a Dr my brother knows in the Petrochemical industry, Tescos 99 RON fuel is actually averaging 100 RON at the moment. Whereas Optimax's 98.6 RON minimum is averaging 98 RON :wink:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe that test was for normal unleaded rather than super so wasn't a fair comparison.

Tesco Super 99 is now available in St Helens on the A580 at Windle Island for those who know it. I've not seen it anywhere else in the NW yet. (Not looked that hard though). A friend has been using it in his Celica GT4 for a week and will never touch Optimax again. It feels stronger/smoother than optimax and he payed 90p a litre!!!!!!

Not tried it in my own car yet as still full but I would trust his opinon enough to make the journey for some.

Jim

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
campbellju said:
Tesco Super 99 is now available in St Helens on the A580 at Windle Island for those who know it. I've not seen it anywhere else in the NW yet. Jim
Apparently the one in warrington near shell & kfc is a 99ron one but on the internet it says its isnt..

Aimee

celicaGT4st205

Hi all. Just to let you know im getting alot higher knock levels using Tesco 99ron fuel than what I usually get with Optimax.

My car is mapped with Optimax so that may be why.

On my next remap I will get it mapped with 95ron, and then compare the knock levels of Optimax and Tesco 99 again.

Also, when I get my datalogit back, I will confirm how long the knock is lasting for and at what rev range.

At this moment its rather hard to tell where the knock occurs. The thing is, like in the Evo mag petrol test a couple of months back, the fuels all work at their best at different rev ranges. Some perform higher up, some lower down.

Without having my datalogit and laptop (borrowed them out) im not sure where the det is happening in the rev range.

The only real way to tell the difference in the fuels is to have a few seperate maps made with the different fuels and see the dyno figures/curves.

With BP ultimate, I get higher knock levels than optimax. Again, im not sure where in the rev range it occurs though.

Here is the Evo mag test on a new golf gti.

Evo Mag verdicts:
Optimax verdict: Lacks mid range torque and torque fades slightly earlier. Better than the others to rev to the redline and felt crisper to drive. Evo mag favourite.

Tesco 99 verdict: Doesnt deliver like BP ultimate low down but gets closer before matching its power. It stays stronger for longer to the redline. Feels a little laboured to the redline. Less clean feeling to drive. Sound was less positive too.

BP Ultimate verdict: Outperformed every fuel on torque through the range. Very strong from the off and stays ahead of the others to 5000rpm. Explosive low down, really quick on boost and sharp response. Last 1000rpm is a struggle. Had more torque than the race fuel.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All very interesting. it makes sense from my own experience in that I found BP better lower down but mid range and high revs prefered optimax.

My mate has a standardish 185 and has had good results. He was put onto it by a rev3 MR2 owner who has the same engine as yours (as standard?) I believe.

I remember an old scooby post that reckoned super 99 could be tuned to better hp than optimax but on standard, optimax gave better torque. This is the opposite of what the Evo lot are saying.

I'm going to suck it and see at the next opportnuity as all I do know is every car seems to respond differently to each petrol and driving style :lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
AVH_25 said:
campbellju said:
Tesco Super 99 is now available in St Helens on the A580 at Windle Island for those who know it. I've not seen it anywhere else in the NW yet. Jim
Apparently the one in warrington near shell & kfc is a 99ron one but on the internet it says its isnt..

Aimee
I#ll have to start looking around closer to home then. Southport doesn't even seel Super yet!

celicaGT4st205

campbellju said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All very interesting. it makes sense from my own experience in that I found BP better lower down but mid range and high revs prefered optimax.

My mate has a standardish 185 and has had good results. He was put onto it by a rev3 MR2 owner who has the same engine as yours (as standard?) I believe.

I remember an old scooby post that reckoned super 99 could be tuned to better hp than optimax but on standard, optimax gave better torque. This is the opposite of what the Evo lot are saying.

I'm going to suck it and see at the next opportnuity as all I do know is every car seems to respond differently to each petrol and driving style :lol:
Yes a st205 and a rev 3 mr2 both share the same engine. (My new uprated block to be fitted is from a rev 3 mr2) However, the st205 ecu must be different because it gives slightly more power than the mr2 (both jap spec ecu's)

With reference to the tuning, when I can afford it, I may go down the route of having a map for each - optimax, bp and tesco.

Or I may try and learn how to map myself and do it that way. Surely there cant be much difference between the fuels for mapping. Hopefully it will be a case of a "tweak"

bracpan

Who do you believe? the tests with EVO mag and 5th Gear give opposite results with Optimax and BP regarding the Torque.

Is it down to the mapping of a particular engine to one fuel?

Very Strange.

Cheers

Phil 8)