up and coming owner?? maybe

munk

rite where do i start .. just joined the forum as iv been debating buying a pulsar for a little while... this will mean bowing out of the impreza seen which i have been in the last few years!!( some may say this is a good thing) the trouble is i havnt a clue what to look out for on these cars apart from the general bits...and been told there not very reliable??:doh: so plenty of advise would be great! i am selling my impreza at the moment(95 special edition sti wagon) .. but could be intrested in adeal if anyones intrested.. cant yet post in the for sale section... so can send pics if people want.. thankin you all:?

GTiR-Aholic

Hi mate welcome to the forum. R's I think are generally a little unreliable but they are coming up to 20yrs now most of them. However, saying that there are some really nice well looked after ones as well and in the right hands they will take you far :)

I picked up my last one about 6months ago and it's not let me down not once. Really nice M-Reg with not a spot of rust apart from 1 wheel arch bubble. You've just got to hunt around a bit.

Common things I like to stay clear of:
Noisy Thrust Bearing - causes no harm but so irritating and embarrasing lol
Crunchy Gears - boxes go like anything on these with a bit of boost & rapage
Clutch Slipping - same as above
Tappy top ends - quite common
Clutch pedal - clicking (common with uprated clutches as excess pressure is placed on the clutch box which is commonly prone to breaking off)
vibrations/rattles from the roofing
missing under boost - leads, plugs, coil ... quite often you need to replace something

That's about it really.. I think those are pretty much the most common issues i've seen on a lot of R's that I've been to see when buying.. some are my personal preference to stay clear of like a rattling roof, tappy engine and noisy thrust bearing.

M

mynheers_a_pint

adding to the above, the majority of parts are perishables and will naturally require replacement, as per any other car of a similar age. The major difference here is that the car is much more difficult to work on. A starter motor change can be very difficult on an original car as can a large number of other parts to give an example.

The only time they generally go wrong is when people start donig silly things. Don't expect a standard engine/gear box to withstand excessive boost/hard launches in the same way you would any other car.

Last edited by a moderator:

snoon

as mentioned in your other thread - do a fault code check and a compression check before you buy. Finding a faulty sensor might not be the end of the world but if it has been faulty for some time it have caused some damage by overfueling.

Lots of gearbox problems - mine crunches into 5th if I don't double clutch - but been like that for over 2 years and still going strong. To be fair you can get a 2nd hand replacement for £300 ish so again not the end of the world. Mine also has a noisey top end - re-shimming can be done DIY - read pulsar boby's post on it. I just can't be arsed.

Other than that it's just standard stuff to look out for like on any car.

Nearly all R's have rusty rear arches but 4 door replacements can be modded to fit.

M

mynheers_a_pint

I have no rusty arches ;)

If the gearbox horror stories are what concern you, they really aren't all that bad. Just make sure that if you do buy one, the gear box is perfect and avoid 'fixer uppers'.

Last edited by a moderator:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
tbh, gearboxes are not that bad.

Look after them and don't do full blown launches and you'll be fine.

Use good oils and it should see you right :thumb:

dotalot

A few years ago I was in your position, and was only interested in a Gti-R because I couldnt afford insurance on an Sti Imprezza or Evo at the time.
Dont get me wrong, I still liked them but it was a third choice car for me. So I found a nice clean UK car and bought it. The car was standard apart from a mongoose exhaust. On the drive home I got to open it up, and couldnt believe how sharp it was. I was crapping myself because i'd heard all the unreliability stories too.
At the time it was really the only one about my area and it quickly earned a reputation for being a scooby and evo beater. I even embarrassed some tuned cossies at timed drag races and no-one would believe me that it was standard. I had that car for probably about a year of hard driving and had no problems with it whatsoever. All I did was keep the oil and filters changed and it was fine. It was even known to do the odd circle in a wet carpark. I love the wicked power delivery and im on my third one now and still love em. Though they are buggers to work at when they do break.

darkyGTI-R

I've had mine just over 12months standard import 1st uk owner was only in uk 2weeks before i bought it I've replaced 2 front tyres to front pads and had turbo,manifold and down pipe gaskets all replaced and hence it's allot quieter and more responsive now so all in all a good 12months driving on a daily driver so not too bad considering and to top that it flew through the mot!