uprated helix???

GTIR-LOZ

hi i need a clutch for 400ls/ft or over and have heard of this uprated helix organic clutch a few of you have. I contacted helix and they said i would need multi friction plates a bespoke flywheel and an uprated pressure plate and quoted me 1200 pounds!!! i will buy the hks gd pro from japan for half that or get the rps street max but dont like the idea of a heavy clutch pedal and breaking clutch forks and good traffic performance is a must
where did you users of this uprated helix organic get them from and for how much and does it indeed hold over 400lbs/ft
thanks

ashills

hi mate ive sent you a pm but on my old car i had one and it held over 400ftlb no problem a few of the others will know about where to get it from etc

GTIR-LOZ

spoke to them again but terry was at lunch! and they still had no idea what i was going on about! does anybody know exactly what i need to order/ask for???:thumbsup:

GTIR-LOZ

i did mention that but still no joy!:der: but i did get an email back from rallynuts who i emailed this morning with the information that the new new hd one is on their website checked and its rated to 370lbs/ft which is much better do you think this is a conservative figure or spot on they said it should be fine up to 450bhp will be ordering this soon as8)

http://rallynuts.com/motorsport/Hel...Sporting_Clutch_Kit_SunnyPulsar_GTiR_1746.asp

Last edited:
J

jpward

The ones a few of us have got are the six paddle ones which they told me was good for 400!

But they did also say there was a os giken style unit being released soon but it wa sgoing to be about £800 tops just ask them for the ceramatalic 6 paddle and uprated pressure plate should not be much more than the normal 4 paddle one thats 370 rated!

;-)

ashills

they do an organic that is fine for 400ftlb pretty sure its a group A kit rally nuts sell it i think but they wont offically rate it to that

GTIR-LOZ

the price is a little:shock:

500 for uprated helix to 370lbs/ft
560 twin plate os giken ???
650 hks gd pro 500lbs/ft

the last one comes with a flywheel to not sure about the os giken and they both give more clamping force than the helix
what are twin plate clutches like to use can you still get a smooth pullaway in traffic any feedback from people who use/d them appreciated

ashills

the twin plares are like a stronger paddle tbh with a tiny bit of give to them the organic is 100000 times nice to drive

all the twin plates will come with a flywheel

GTIR-LOZ

so you really have to add another 300 to the helix to bring it to equivalent spec;-)
i have a jun flywheel on the way i guess i may go for the helix then wich it was cheaper though

youngsyp

This is a quote from the Helix Autosport website, Group A page, that may help you out a bit:

"Note: The 'Breakaway' torque figure can be up to 40% increase on listed dynamic torque capacity figure."

Although, looking at the Group A page, the highest clamping force they offer on a single plate organic disc is 226 lb's/ft, with the highest rated 'grey' spring rate ?!

GTIR-LOZ

thats the price roughly to the door if you click on the link i posted ealier and go through the motions of buying the vat is another 70 quid then plus delivery on that price
anyone have a trade discount with them:p

GTIR-LOZ

i have to say also helix themselves were absolutly useless sounded like two geezers in a shed who had no clue to customer service all i got was "na sorry mate no idea what your talking about":doh:

R

R-Factor

http://rallynuts.com/motorsport/Heli...TiR _1746.asp

This is the link posted earlier in the thread, I have a question or two about this clutch.

(A) Is it vital or worthwhile to have the heavy duty plate on offer or not? The clutch is £340 without it or £467 with it from Rally Nuts. Is it worth the extra £127 if I'm only looking to uprate power to approx 270-280bhp? I assume that if they give you the option to include the plate or not means its not a vital accessory and will work well enough without it at this power. If its best to have it then so be it.

http://www.potn.co.uk/p1602017.htm

(B) POTN do this clutch too but don't state if theirs comes with the heavy duty plate or not, nor do they give you an option to include it or not (unlike RN who do). Has anyone purchased it from POTN and know weather its supplied with the plate? They're only charging £381 for this kit so I can only assume it doesn't at that price (compared to RN that is) but I have no idea. They don't seem to answer emails so I think a telephone call is on the cards.

Thanks for any help given. Once my fuel leak has been sorted the clutch will be the next thing on my to-do list you see.

Last edited by a moderator:

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
I needed a new clutch plate and bearing for my Helix clutch, rang them and they told be a heavy duty non paddle was available - has a stronger clutch cover to provide more clamping force and an uprated clutch plate. They don't sell direct so gave me details of the nearest distributor and the new plate and bearing arrived in a couple of days. I opted just for the plate as the cover was a fair amount extra (+ my cover was fine). Works with my Quaife setup fine :)

Seeing as the previous Helix clutch plate lasted 4 years of abuse on the drag strip with no faults at all, i think the uprated plate will last just as long!

Cheers,

donpulsar :)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
GTIR-LOZ said:
or get the rps street max but dont like the idea of a heavy clutch pedal and breaking clutch forks and good traffic performance is a must
To be honest the RPS isn't that much of a nightmare to use. I've got one and granted its heavier than the standard springs, but if you take the time to up-rate the clutch release fork and install a clutch peddle plate then you can't go wrong. (Perhaps try some else's GTiR that has an RPS?)

It’s cheaper than £1200 :shock: and they hold up well for launches and track days again and again.

I've sorted out all the above problematic areas and since then it’s been great and never had a problem with it.

Just a point, if you are going to get one don’t use SRB Power as their customer service is shite beyond belief. If you want to return something, you might as well hit yourself in the face with you phone as that might get you further... :doh: