vaccum pipes gtir

gtireric

hi. im new to the gtiroc and ive just bought a gtir as a project car and the engine has just been built and fitted. a lot of vaccume pipes are off and missing. the car runs but not well im affraid. can anyone help with where these pipes go, im really struggling and have been told you guys are a really nice bunch. hope someone can help...thanks....eric.:lol:

gtireric

hi. thanks have already got that one but seems to be some smaller pipes off behind the engine.off the manifold.

nathan

where are you based at m8 im sure if some one is local they will come and point you in the right direction

gtireric

hi, im based in north yorkshire, a place called leeming-bar just off the A1. post code DL7 9AE i do hope someone can help.

Trondelond

Here's a really bad pic, but this is on the back of the engine, on the passenger side, just under the inlet.

The top one goes to the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and the bottom one to the BOV. Hope that helps. :)

gtireric

thanks for the pic but mine has 3 pipes on. one to the fuel press reg. one to the bov and one to a pot on the inner wing, is the 3rd one meant to be there, thanks.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
By 'pot on the inner wing' do you mean the carbon canister, or are you talking about the boost sensor?
Both of them are meant to be there, but neither of them are totally necessary.

gtireric

carbon cannister

hi it is the carbon cannister. ive got one pipe coming from fuel tank i think and one from the bottom of the thing behind the manifold. that pic that i was sent by the guy from norway and the small pipe on the top goes nowhere. you any idea where they are meant to go.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
hi it is the carbon cannister. ive got one pipe coming from fuel tank i think and one from the bottom of the thing behind the manifold. that pic that i was sent by the guy from norway and the small pipe on the top goes nowhere. you any idea where they are meant to go.
This doesn't really help, but I'm still looking for the diagram you're after:

This is about all I could find on the carbon canister.

I can't look at mine at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's three hoses: a vacuum line off the bottom of the manifold (to suck the gases through); a vent from the tank; and one that just vents under the car somewhere.

If the car is running I wouldn't worry too much. The vacuum line can be blanked or used for something else, and you can just vent the fuel tank underneath the car (where it would go anyway) - after almost 20 years that carbon canister isn't doing much any more.

Last edited:

gtireric

hi. the car is running but when i drive it its got no power at all. the boost gauge says its boosting ok but just wont pull. seems to be holding back really badly. struggling to rev even when stood still.:sad: