very annoying problem!! please try and help

NU773R

right had my pulsar for 5 months now and not had a problem other than blowing the gear box up :doh:

just recently the car has been holding back and not driving quite normal,

i let it warm up ect and then when i have been driving it for 10 mins or more or when i use the turbo ait it holds back and dos not want to go, sometimes it will work fine and then 5 mins later it will hold back so it seems to be a intermitant problem but have no idea what it could be, while driving yesterday i did notice the oil pressure guage was all over the place, sometimes the pressure was fine then it was really high then it was lowish

any help or suggestions would be helpful

neil240z

defo knock/det sensor, it throws the ignition timing out when it gets warm to prevent engine damage even though its not, happened on mine.

they are an **** to fit as they are located on the block down behind the plenum/inlet

pulsarboby may have one or mr nissan charges £160

regards

Neil

neil240z

gtirx2 said:
Double check your ignition timing and make sure thats right.
actually you can prove it that way, when your car is pulling like a pile of dung check the ignition timing it will be way out, when it is corrected it will run great again, for about 5 mins until the knock sensor throws it out again!

annoying it is!

gtirx2

When i first got my R years back and did not know much about it i was running around at about 15btdc timing instead of the 20btdc its ment to be.That made it run great one minute and real bad the next,and at the time i just put it down to heat soak:doh:
But like neil240z says it could well be the knock senser.

olliecast

gtirx2 said:
When i first got my R years back and did not know much about it i was running around at about 15btdc timing instead of the 20btdc its ment to be.That made it run great one minute and real bad the next,and at the time i just put it down to heat soak:doh:
But like neil240z says it could well be the knock senser.
so you had to change your knock sensor?

gtirx2

olliecast said:
so you had to change your knock sensor?
Nope mine just used to mess about because the timing was so far out,it was worse off boost/coming on boost, it used to be very hesertent sometimes.Timed it up right and its been fine since.Just worth a checking before changing the knock senser i think?

neil240z

its defo easier to do what gtirx2 says to prove that its the knock sensor, i actually didnt replace mine as i wasnt too knowledgable at the time of my first car but after what other people posted over the years on this forum i knew then where the problem lied, but my symptoms were identical, when it was cold it pulled fantastic (not that is good for the engine to drive it hard when cold!) then when it started to get warm it started holding back even though it was still running 16psi it pulled like an over fed mule!!
so IMO best thing to do is do what gtirx2 says when your car starts holding back, get the strobe on and check the ignition timing (it will be out) i would say, reset it while the engine is running of course then take her for another run, you will find it flying along again for a short while until the knock sensor throws it out again and starts holding back, if the timing is fine then it will probably be fueling but i doubt it.

regards

Neil

NU773R

cheers for the help and advise

just ordered new plugs, leads, fuel filter oil and filter and pretty much everything for a service as its due one in a few weeks, when i've done that then i will cheak the timing and see how it goes from there