***WARNING - Dodgy Invoices 2010***

P

pulsarboby

i had a guy on the phone to me this morning saying he had just looked at buying a car in the birmingham area, and he was just checking as it had reciepts from gti-r-us totalling 17k of work in 2004, we wasnt even trading in these cars at that time:shock:

now this is not the first time this has happened with regard to ficticious invoices and its really starting to p1ss me off, and il be speaking to the guy if the bloke that phoned me will pass on his number that is:roll:

all our engine builds carry a numbered stamp on the block (similar to norris) and each one will be matched by our records and appropiate copy of invoice.

so if you go look at a car to purchase then check with us with reg number etc and also try take a photo of the invoice and send us the photo.

this is going on a lot lately, ive seen dodgy invoices from hiteq, dp motorsport, rc and a few other companies also, so just be very carefull or you could end up buying a whole heap of junk just because it has supposedly had thousands spent on it.

ive been caught out once or twice myself, but i just foot the loss and blame myself for being a numbnut that should know better.
if someone says a car has a quaife and forged engine and they have reciepts then this still doesnt mean the car has those parts still fitted even though the bill may be genuine and suggest otherwise.
just remember parts are easily removed and swapped for standard parts and sometimes its very difficult to check untill its too late and you've parted with your cash.

so moral to this is 'paperwork means jackshit' do your checks properly;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

shroom

Just a shame that people have to stoop so low and do that kind of thing.

like when I brought mine it was sold with an "uprated clutch" that slipped two weeks later like no ones buisines and on taking it out was just a poor stock one :doh: other than that I have been lucky and have had a 1 years trouble free motoring, I would rather spend more and have it done for myself not buy it with "forged" internals 450bhp capable piston head special that seem to lurk around constantly, least he had the brains to get in contact for you and ask.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Agreed - especially reciepts for things inside the engine; can you tell those are HKS cams without taking the cover off? Can you tell it's got forgies without taking the plug out and getting a torch? Can you tell that they are new or that the rings (or bore) are still good?
There's a certain ammount of trust, but when it comes to the crunch you can't believe everything you're told.

I think in my case the guy who sold it really did believe it had a Nismo Clutch... but that makes me worry that some of the other bits aren't there either.

shroom

When I was looking for one I did not have any idea about how to look at internals etc so im quiet glad I did get a "good" one and didnt look for a big power one, as you said its a gamble, and the good ones always come up when you are not in the right possition, just how it goes :lol:

maybe he got his " I wish" list mixed up in his documents :lol:

M

markwashington

When I bought mine I checked with norris designs that the guy who was selling me the car was the same person who had all the work done by them. They were very helpful and confirmed everything that had been done. I didn't take apart the engine, but everything matched up and it's been fine since, I guess if it looks too good to be true and it's been through multiple owners since the work was done, check it out and then check it again. It's an r so something will have gone wrong and been replaced, trust your instincts if the person selling it doesn't seem the type to have put 20k into the car in the last two years they probably haven't regardless of what the paperwork says.

P

pulsarboby

yes i believe yours is no 18 olly, my invoice books down the yard, but il check tomorrow!
did i put a sticker which is laquered over on rockercover aswell? i cant remember as it was some time ago.

ollydj

yea its got the gti-r- us sticker on the rocker cover etc. gonna start a thread in members r on how my long 3 year project progress has gone lol

williams

its a c*!ts trick that. people could end up paying over the odds for a standard car thinking its forged etc

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Made a sticky for a while so that people can reference to this over the coming year. :thumb: