weird noise in neutral?

J

Jamie_GTIR

When im in neutral there seems like a strange noise coming from the gearbox, which disappears when the clutch is depressed and doesnt seem right. Can anyone shed any light on the matter and is it a big problem!!?

J

J-GTi-R

What kind of noise? Does it go away if you rest your foot lightly on the clutch pedal?

It might be the thrust bearing, I was asking Mike/ex-gtir about this on the week-end. He suggested the above test for someone else who has a rattle in neutral/clutch out.

GTIR-LOZ

yeah its the thrust bearing, mines the same ive just found out :( dont think it can cause any damage, so im going to do it when it needs a clutch change

ex-gtir

i thought mine was a thrust bearing so i changed it only to find it was the first gear had lost a tooth of first gear
mike

GTIR-LOZ

you fooker stop saying things like that :shock: i dont seem to have any probs in 1st gear and only get it in neutral with foot of clutch not in any other gear

A

Anonymous

Noise talk to me about noises

Hi mate ive bloody got 2 noises a knock from the front when i corner even pull off at an angle and a screaching when on full load at high recs in 1st gear anyway the noises you are proberbly hearing is the release bearing its like a rattle? like a tapping ticking noise? goes when you push the pedal? if thats the case then it is the release bearing its a design fault on 2.0 litre nissans it needs greasing although it doesn't cause any damage and can cause you have to take the engine out same scenarion as changing the clutch be done then. i hope this puts your mind at ease im pretty stressed cause im hearing all kinds of things the worst being my chassis is ripping away from subframe and my engine can drop out! speak to you soon. :roll: :mrgreen:

ex-gtir

sorry to say this but mine was exactlythe same noise as release bearing noise i have rebuilt a few gtir boxs and the problem is that in neutral all idler gear 1>5 turn so noise will be constant i thought it was just bearing in the box but turned out to be the gear car rove fin not bad at all even in first
mike

O

Olly

And the ones i have done had, had slight gear rattle on idle,very noisey 1st and 2nd, exessive movment in input shaft bearing, worn out bearing/s. But it could always be other things too clutch centre plate springs and release brg etc etc. 8) :lol:

GTIR-LOZ

thats the least of my worries now, as it seems to have disapeared, but i think my turbo is on its way out, loud whistle when booting it in 2nd third and boost has dropped from 16 - 14 psi :( that may be due to the front mount though not sure