What are you covering your oil coolers with now its getting colder

olliecast

evening all,
just been outside fitting my winter coat over my oil cooler (16 row front mount).

Was getting max temps of just about 75 deg last night when out for an hour. I`m running a mocal thermostat but don`t seem to be that effective!

I ended up using the silver insulation stuff that was wrapped around my standard air con pipes. Fits nicely over the cooler when unwound. Hopefully be able to get a bit more heat into it.

What has been other peoples preperation for winter?

Wrap up :)

ollie

Mr GTiR

I've never worried about it and just keep driving my car as normal.

There's a thermostat on the sandwhich plate so never given it any real thought.

olliecast

yeah mines supposed to open at 80.......but the oil temp hasn`t got there recently.

appears my heat exchanger, exchanges a bit too efficiently!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
olliecast said:
evening all,What has been other peoples preperation for winter?
Nothing really, just use a sheet of plywood cut to suit with Hammerite painted on it to cover the oil cooler.

Other than that, some lub on my brake nipples and that’s it. :thumb:

paz

I hadn't even considered this, is it worth doing? What are the reasons for doing so, just the drop in ambient temperature - is oil in the cooler more exposed I take it?

Paz

Animaldaz

There finding the oil doesnt reach optimum temp when an oil cooler is fitted during the cold months. So if you block the ram air effect to the cooler it should allow the oil temp to rise slightly. Then when the sun comes out you just go back to exposed cooler.

antgtir

paz said:
I hadn't even considered this, is it worth doing? What are the reasons for doing so, just the drop in ambient temperature - is oil in the cooler more exposed I take it?

Paz
I personally have the thermostatic sandwich plate, however i will (when back on the road lol) look at the oil temps to ensure they are within operating temps / optimum temps.

Temperature outside of the engine is signifcantly cooler than internal, especially whilst moving, therefore to remain within the ideal operating temps it can be adviseable to cover the cooler. :lol:

Hows the R going matey? PM if you like.

Ant.

antgtir

Animaldaz said:
There finding the oil doesnt reach optimum temp when an oil cooler is fitted during the cold months. So if you block the ram air effect to the cooler it should allow the oil temp to rise slightly. Then when the sun comes out you just go back to exposed cooler.
In Bolton, its "when the sun comes out (1 day out of 365 :lol:)"

Ant.

Animaldaz

Good point Ant, although i live on the south coast so i see more sun. Even so ive never seen worryingly high oil temps to warrant getting a cooler myself, my R isnt running big boost though and i do have a copper rad so i guess that accounts for it, oh and quality of oil makes a big difference too. Silkolene will happily operate scorching hot.

J

jpward

I was under the impression the Thermo plate would only open when temperatures rose above a certain level in so doing so ensuring the oil optimum temperature was reached faster and then when ambient levels fell it would possibly not open allowing all season driving without modification to the cooler, otherwise you might as well just have two gate valves on there and save money over the plate?

Mr GTiR

jpward said:
I was under the impression the Thermo plate would only open when temperatures rose above a certain level in so doing so ensuring the oil optimum temperature was reached faster and then when ambient levels fell it would possibly not open allowing all season driving without modification to the cooler, otherwise you might as well just have two gate valves on there and save money over the plate?
Correct, that's why I have never given it a thought and just drive the dam car :thumbsup: `

olliecast

spoke to opie oils today. oil comes onto temp around 65 deg. Mine was just over 70 so as they said, its very much on the bottom end on the oils working range. Mentioned i might try a slightly different oil next time.

My thermostat must be leaking or a dud as my oil has never got up to 80 deg in the last few days.

put the jacket on me cooler last night, and tonight just wrapped a few bits of foil around the hose joints (these were real hot to the touch so you know there`s heat transfer occuring there), and my temps are at 80-85 now. nice and snug!

might go and grease me nipples now