What cam?

jocster76

My brain now hurts after looking at the choice of cam. The bottem end is sorted looking for cams good for bout 500 brake and good torque im baffled 264 270 280deg what lift 10 10.5 11 11.5 or 12lift anyone plz help

cheers
JOC

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Depends on how and where you aim to achieve that 500bhp.

You'll need to give away a little more info. Engine setup and Turbo spec you are wanting to run?

Rishi

jocster76

rishi my bottom end will have hks 86m pistons knife edge krank, jun rods arp bolts and every standard part replaced e.g iol pump and so on. im thinking of running a gt 30/76
cheers
JOC

any advice would be great

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
jocster76 said:
rishi my bottom end will have hks 86m pistons knife edge krank, jun rods arp bolts and every standard part replaced e.g iol pump and so on. im thinking of running a gt 30/76
cheers
JOC

any advice would be great
You still haven't given the info needed :doh: :lol:

If you want 500bhp at 8000rpm,then you'd probably go for long duration,high lift cams inside a machined cyl head.

Or,if like me you want loads of torque fron idle right through the rev range until it runs out of puff at about 6500rpm,you'll go for a milder cam like the Kent fast road cam that i've got fitted.

Basic rule of thumb:- low lift/shorter duration will give good responses from the turbo over quite a wide rev range.High lift/long duration will give a narrow power band further up the rev range with plenty of lag :der:

jocster76

cheers for the advice oap
my spec
hks86mm pistons
knire edg crank
jun rods
sard 800cc twin hole injectors
sard swirl pot
fuel pump
fuel reg
my spec zuast
front mount ic
maybe gt30/76
apexi power fc
cryo font mount kit
and maybe alot i forgot
but this cam choice is doin me head in, maybe some jun cams and double valve springs or what, i dont know?

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
jocster76 said:
cheers for the advice oap
my spec
hks86mm pistons
knire edg crank
jun rods
sard 800cc twin hole injectors
sard swirl pot
fuel pump
fuel reg
my spec zuast
front mount ic
maybe gt30/76
apexi power fc
cryo font mount kit
and maybe alot i forgot
but this cam choice is doin me head in, maybe some jun cams and double valve springs or what, i dont know?
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30439 :thumbsup:

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
steven_c said:
where are you looking at buying your cam's from? website? shop? which one?
After a 30 sec google search,here's a couple i managed to find :doh:

www.kentcams.co.uk
www.pipercams.co.uk
www.performancecentre.co.uk

There's also Greenline but i'm not sure on that address as i think it's a Japanese company.

Unless you're looking for big gains in power/torque,i don't think there's much to be gained in shopping abroad for the cams as mine were only about £350 for the pair :thumbsup:

jocster76

Was thinking of buyin me cams from greenline in japan.
im thinking about jun cams but dont know which ones as there is so many choices diff deg/ lift does anyone on here know about what deg or lift i will need
www.greenline.jp

JOC

jocster76

cheers for the link OAP but ya confuzin me even more now
just been looking at the piper cams
piper ultimate cam may be the one for me or will jun be a better choice?

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
jocster76 said:
cheers for the link OAP but ya confuzin me even more now
just been looking at the piper cams
piper ultimate cam may be the one for me or will jun be a better choice?
It all depends on how you want your engine to develop it's power/torque.

If you want a loony toon engine like Rishi's that will rev to 9000rpm and develop 700+ bhp,then you'll need long duration and high lift cams just like Rishi :der: :der: :der:

If like me,you want 520bhp from your GT3076 but want a good spread of torque from idle to 6500rpm,then a fast road cam with mild lift/duration is the way to go :thumbsup:

Why don't you just phone up Piper or Kent,tell them WTF it is you want from your engine and let them recommend a cam to fulfill your needs.

You don't always have to go for stuff from Japan you know :doh:

jocster76

OAP what torque figure do you get from 520bhp with fast road cams and where did you get them fom if ya dont mind tellin me?

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
jocster76 said:
OAP what torque figure do you get from 520bhp with fast road cams and where did you get them fom if ya dont mind tellin me?
I havn't got it yet :doh: people keep blowing up my engine :doh:

The cams are from Kent and the guy there rec'd them as they'd help the turbo's responses and make the car very easy to drive :thumbsup:

Rishi reckons with my turbo and set up that it should be approx 500bhp and if i go for 2+ bar boost,it'll be about 500lb/ft :thumbsup:

I just hope the transmission stays together long enough and Rishi has read the maps right ;-)

jocster76

OAP 500bhp and 500lb/ft of torque sound like exactly what im after.
could you plz tell me the spec your running ? and who is mapping your car ?

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
jocster76 said:
OAP 500bhp and 500lb/ft of torque sound like exactly what im after.
could you plz tell me the spec your running ? and who is mapping your car ?
2.2ltr stroker kit from farndon,power fc,1000cc injectors,GT3076,ported and polished cyl head,mahle pistons,8.5:1 comp ratio,cometic 5 layer head gasket(1.7mm),ARP head stud kit,ARP big end bolts,ALC bearings,bosche 044 and walbro fuel pumps siamesed together,SARD fuel press reg,Kent fast road cams and piper cam pulleys.

You still havn't said whether you want torque from just above idle up to about 6500rpm or whether you'd like it developed from 3500rpm up to about 7000rpm.

Higher lift and longer duration cams will also require some head machining to make them fit.

Russ Paton from Wallace Performance is going to map the car hopefully sometime in March.

jocster76

im looking for good torque from idle like you oap but do you think i could achieve 500lb/ft from 86 mm pistons? i looked into stroker kits but the price wasnt on my side and im only got a bosche 044 pump which you have 2 and will 800cc injectors be up to the job
are you using uprated rods?
sorry for bein such a pest.
before i forget what box are planning on

JOC

Keira

oap-r said:
Higher lift and longer duration cams will also require some head machining to make them fit.
duration isn't the issue with machining the head.

you can only go so far on standard or uprated gtir springs with the cam lift before the spring will bind, its safe up to 11.6 When you go much more over that you need to look at using de springs which have an installed height of 40mm as oppossed to 38mm for a gtir, this i why you need to machine spring seat to allow the extra lift.

all of which is more hassle than its worth in this instance.

for an easy option on a 2ltr chuck some 272's or similar in there and be done with it. Simon is running 264's but these limit his revs to 7000-7500, after that its all over, the 3076 would keep producing power higher up the revs but the cams make it pointless to rev higher

Last edited:

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
jocster76 said:
im looking for good torque from idle like you oap but do you think i could achieve 500lb/ft from 86 mm pistons? i looked into stroker kits but the price wasnt on my side and im only got a bosche 044 pump which you have 2 and will 800cc injectors be up to the job
are you using uprated rods?
sorry for bein such a pest.
before i forget what box are planning on

JOC
You don't really need to go above 2 litres,it was just the path i decided to take.

iirc,the bosche 044 is good for about 450bhp.Siamesing (sp) another pump in,is probably the cheapest and most cost effective way of getting the extra fuel flow/pressure that you'll need for that kind of power level.This will also give you a little bit extra capacity should 1 of the pumps get a bit tired with age.

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24188

See above,your injectors are big enough ;-)

The stroker kit comes with uprated rods ;-)

I've got a quaife gearset that's been shot peened to take out the tiny surface imperfections and to also build in a little bit of extra strength.The gearbox case will shortly be going down to Hiteq for his gearcase strengthening mod,£150 + vat and 1 week turnaround.

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
diesel weasel said:
duration isn't the issue with machining the head.

you can only go so far on standard or uprated gtir springs with the cam lift before the spring will bind, its safe up to 11.6 When you go much more over that you need to look at using de springs which have an installed height of 40mm as oppossed to 38mm for a gtir, this i why you need to machine spring seat to allow the extra lift.

all of which is more hassle than its worth in this instance.

for an easy option on a 2ltr chuck some 272's or similar in there and be done with it. Simon is running 264's but these limit his revs to 7000-7500, after that its all over, the 3076 would keep producing power higher up the revs but the cams make it pointless to rev higher
I know duration doesn't dictate when machining is required smart **** ;-) but when people buy uprated cams it's usually with more lift and duration.