What Is It

Matty B

I've been told i need a DAWES device. This sounds great, but what the hell is one?
Any one know?
Thanks.

abyss

stay away from them, if you want to run more boost buy a cheap apexi you can pick them up for pennies. Or get a gizmo chip.

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Dawes is a mechanical boost controller (bleed valve) I've had one on my car for a couple of years now and am still trying to kill it.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Bleed valves have a bad rep as people fit them (on all turbo cars) then turn the boost up without adding any extra fuel, this results in DET and blown engines. If you have the fuelling checked they should be OK. A couple of people have checked the fuelling on our cars and they run very rich with extra boost. (don't let that encourage you to do the above tho, still get the fuelling checked)

houghy_1

Im running a Dawes device at the moment as a temporary measure.
This is what they look like...

clickable thumbnail...

They are £40 and are fine if you have something like an Apexi S-AFC like i have which can be set up to deliver more
fuel at various points across the revs to keep the mixture rich enough.

This is the cheap way of doing it and like i said only temporary in my case.
You would be far better spending £150-350 on a decent electronic boost controller,
which will control the boost well and not allow any spiking,
and getting it set up properly along side something to keep the fuel mixture right also.

Greddy Profec b 2 seem to be the most noted to be user friendly and good at holding the boost.

Matt

Matty B

Thanks very much pal. I sorted it now, looped the boost solonoid. Now runs 1 bar perfect. That will do for now

houghy_1

Matty B said:
Thanks very much pal. I sorted it now, looped the boost solonoid. Now runs 1 bar perfect. That will do for now
Itd be wise to get yourself something to keep the fuel mixture right also,like an Apexi S-AFC etc;-)

Matt

DanDud

My dawes device sits at 16PSI all day long and has never spiked. And if you know where to find them you can get them for a lot less than £40!

azboy

dawes device is not the same as a bleed valve a dawes device is good and when i had mine was as good as my electronic boost conroller i had a bleed valve before and was fine but did spike when first hit boost