What mods to improve 0-60 times ?

A

Anonymous

if someone has a similar spec car do you know what sort of 0-60 times i would be getting my car spec is bellow. I want aim for 4.5 - 5.0 secs

-nismo cat back exhaust
-m's super cleaner ? looks like a decent piece of kit (like blitz sonic)
-gab suspension with cusco pillow ball at front
-uprated clutch i think may replace with helix
-earthing kit
-hks bov

will be uprating actuator to hks and set to 1 bar and fitting uprated downpipe with de cat.

owe it has 60k miles on it.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
You want to be doing more that just those little bits when you raise the boost to 1 bar - If you want your engine to survive that is.

Use the search button and do a bit of research before you just turn up the boost and hope for the best.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Personally I think you would be better off uping the boost with some sort of electronic boost controller (Apexi AVCR or something) and leaving the standard actuator in place. If you change the actuator you have no easy way of any adjustment, if needed. Or if you wanted to up the boost by a slightly cheaper method you could try using a Dawes Device (Hybrid Bleed valve), much safer than a bleed valve, as it doesn't spike so much.

Iridium plugs, new leads, walbro (or similar) fuel pump, boost guage that shows 1 bar, always use Optimax and do regular 3000 mile oil and filter changes with Castrol RS 10 - 60.

The list continues.........................................................

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Oh yeah, unless you already changed the worst thing about standard R' and before you do any of the above, spend the most money you can afford on some desent bigger brakes. Or you will end up killing yourself (and probaly someone else).

As a good rule, I always make sure I can stop before I make it go any faster.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
R' ownership is expensive anyway but to want to go faster in a standard unmodified R' is a bank account braking, relationship wreaking experiance. Just remember apart from your own impatiance ther is no rush, just set yourself a goal you want to get to and do it all to get to that goal WITHOUT cutting corners. If you do it all properley it is worth it.

Oh, and as many on here will tell you, pick the right girlfriend (or buy your wife lots of nice pressies)

A

Anonymous

already got the oil in and blitz gauge fitted, will save up for brakes just replaced them with standard mintex discs and nissan pads because i was desprate :( got the job done for £82 :) i would love an elec boost controler but i was told i should still chage actuator ?

O

one Gti-R

My car has similar mods when I ran it down trhe 1/4 mile and I ran a 13.6

hope that gives you and idea.

p.s that was on stock boost aswell.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you're only interested in acceleration and not top speed fit the close ratio gearbox. Be sure you want to tho as you'll be limited to 130 with the RB gearbox for example if you do.

A

Anonymous

cheers guys but i just wonderd what the pulsar would feel like compared to an impreza sti i used to own 0-60 was about 4.9 and, my last pulsar was standard it felt too slow. i have always gone off the 0-60 time rather than 1/4 mile because when on road i dont really get a chance to go flat out in 3rd (never been to a track day or drag :( ) carnt wait to register my new gtir and sort out the bits on it so i can try it out :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What spec was the sti?

Using this to work out mine it comes in at well under 5secs and I only have a filter, exhaust and front mount on mine :)

A

Anonymous

it was an sti 2 which should have 275 bhp only mod was cat back blitz nur spec exhaust and it would have left my old standard pulsar standing still.. problem is i have never been in a really moded car except an evo 6 running 340bhp which i really liked, i have driven standard evo 5,6,7,8 and sti 5. i just want my pulsar to be as quick or a bit quicker than these cars without spending too much money and damaging it. i have been told about 280 bhp should see me ok ?

GINGA

A 1 bar (280bhp ish)setup car should see off all those cars upto about 120mph :wink:
For that you could use a basic bleed valve(£20) to raise the boost of a dawes style bleed valve (£40)would be better option, combined with a uprated fuel pump(£90) and a decent turbo back exhaust and induction kit should see you safely to your goal :wink: if your clutch is fairly new it will hold that power no probs but if its quite old it will be liable to slip with the extra torque so budget on a new clutch which ain't cheap :(
You can go with a electronic boost controller but imho they spike just as bad as bleed valves, many owners will disagree but you'll see plenty of posts about how there boost controller spike to this and that lol
Also the standard management can cope with spikes anyway without a problem :wink:
Whatever you decide to do get it setup and checked on a decent rolling road to make sure its all ok and that the timing is set right for the amount of boost your running.